1932 Valet Radiator Cap

a griffin

I'm looking for a plain cap for a 1932 Pierce. Finish does not need to be perfect, but good driver quality.

I've talked to a few Pierce guys and they don't have any on the shelf. Take a look through your stash and let me know what you have.

Edited by a griffin (see edit history)

Might not be the answer your looking for, but I went through the same thing three years ago with my 31 Pierce. I wound up buying a reproduction cap to put under my mascot from Bolnder & Murray and using a junk 50’s gas cap when the mascot came off. I kept looking and after several months of watching eBay I found a plain cap but it wound up being around  $30 more than the reproduction one. I still bought it because it matches the wear on my car, but I will also say the reproduction is about as perfect as you can want. If all your looking for is a cap for when you don’t dare leave the mascot on you won’t go wrong with the reproduction.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Might not be the answer your looking for, but I went through the same thing three years ago with my 31 Pierce. I wound up buying a reproduction cap to put under my mascot from Bolnder & Murray and using a junk 50’s gas cap when the mascot came off. I kept looking and after several months of watching eBay I found a plain cap but it wound up being around  $30 more than the reproduction one. I still bought it because it matches the wear on my car, but I will also say the reproduction is about as perfect as you can want. If all your looking for is a cap for when you don’t dare leave the mascot on you won’t go wrong with the reproduction.

Good luck!

Dave Murray was one of the guys I spoke with today. He is out of reproduction pieces and isn't sure he is going to make anymore as he is ready to focus on other things in life. The search continues....

I took this picture before knowing that. It’s sad to hear but with the decline of cars being restored it’s not surprising. I hope someone takes over his business but with a declining interest I wonder…

Your best bet might be an ad in the PAS Emporium. Good luck finding one and if I see one I’ll let you know.

2E866874-FEC1-4943-8DB1-CBA6E4811A27.jpeg

David is right, but I faked my gas cap as the only one I’ve seen for sale went over $200 on eBay… I paid less for a headlight lens and I’ve been told they were unobtainable. It just takes time or money depending on what you have an abundance of.

And as funny as this is, I had the NOS mascot for 25 years before buying the car to go with it… true story!

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Its been a bit over a year and I wasn't actively looking for the last 8 months.

Has anyone had a 32 Valet cap drop out of the sky recently that would like to part ways with?

I would be a player on a 32 Valet cap as well should a stash of them come about.

I have been using an old rag for overnight parking and times when I am not able to protect the archer.

I don't know why I can never remember his name.

I also have a padlock and chain that I use at shows sometimes. Kinda hokey looking but the public loves it.

• Like 1

I am always watching eBay for the caps, and I am pretty sure I just scored the right gas cap for my 31 but have asked David to confirm it for me.

That said, the only other cap that’s turned up in the last year is a drilled one missing the bayonet and gasket disc which is extremely overpriced for what it is. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234870579655?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ine9QBNLQZW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=pnvMnNjyRmG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY