Brewster

41 Su8

Wondering too. I didn't have a chance to watch the video. Went back today to see it and it was gone. I always enjoy the travels fm Truely vintage and follow him on the Model T forum too.

Terry

• Haha 1

I will take the blame for it. After someone posted the photo of the steam engine to compare the cowcatcher with the grille, I posted a photo comparison of the face of the villain in the classic movie "Scream".  Apparently the hall monitor doesn't share my sense of humor.

• Like 3

I just looked and "Truly" deleted "hide" his thread, I have looked, and the last two posts were way off topic. He could have reported them, and we could have deleted just them. However, the Poster of the thread has the option to hide the thread, he can no longer delete one. Please keep in mind the world can see your posts, stay on topic and members will continue to share their world! Karl

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It may have been my fault for saying ( no picture) it look like an art-deco picture of an attractive looking young lady (no offense meant) bending over. Then a few other comparisons popped up. 
Sorry I thought what it looked like was part of the discussion. I even thanked Trulyvintage for posting the thread. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

11 hours ago, jdome said:

I will take the blame for it. After someone posted the photo of the steam engine to compare the cowcatcher with the grille, I posted a photo comparison of the face of the villain in the classic movie "Scream".  Apparently the hall monitor doesn't share my sense of humor.

Well done! I had to Google "Scream" to confirm the image that instantly came to my mind. Comedy and sarcasm, seldom go well in AACA. 

Bob 

• Like 2

The owner of the 1934 Brewster was aware of the posts being made here on the forum as well as on Facebook on the AACAA group.

He had graciously agreed to share the story of the car but when the discussion turned into what he perceived to be an attack on his car he requested I delete the content I had shared about his car.

I spent nine hours on site yesterday without compensation in Visalia California helping bring the car out into the daylight for the first time in 20 years.

I transport to travel.

I travel to tell stories from the road.

I will continue to do that as I have been for the past 16 years.

I do it as a courtesy to the hobby and at my personal expense without compensation.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

I didn't perceive it as a attack on the particular car. The car is a very interesting, quite well preserved survivor.  But more a statement about how Brewster as a make is positioned in todays vintage car overall situation.

Brewster for whatever reason seems to consistently fall quite a bit short of the market values one might typically expect. The purely Brewster car that Matt Harwood was selling last year is a good example of this . A very good condition car and I would expect a very rare car, but still not exactly a quick seller for Matt even at what I would call a pretty reasonable asking price.

And that's a purely Brewster car, not the lower original price segment, Brewster Ford. As others have pointed out , Brewster Fords seem to be very much a love them or hate them sort of situation. A distinctive oddity that underperforms on market price these days.

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Car is cool. We probably should go a little easier when someone is sharing.  I’ll try to do better next time.

That is a very wise statement. BUT it may not happen, to many people here with to many opinions that they just have to put here so all can see. EWE - Experts with Egos , perhaps  in their own minds and no place else. I try to stick to/focus on  period facts and information as much as possible and leave the reams of opinion out of it. The after the fact and  decades later view of " now it proves if they coulda, shoulda, woulda  done this" commentary.

• Like 4

Trulyvintage, I for one have enjoyed your on the road stories and meant no disrespect in my comments.  Thanks for your efforts. I don’t know of anyone that gets compensated for threads on the forum and hope you realize most of us do this to promote the hobby and have fun with it. When people read a thread and take time to comment about isn’t that enough?  I truly hope you continue to post your stories and as alsancle said I will try to do better in responses. 
dave s 

• Haha 1

If you're not sufficiently geared for the wisenhemiers who populate this site, go over to the Jalopy Journal and thicken your skin first. Nobody said anything insulting about the car other than to comment about Brewster-Fords in general, which are admittedly a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. Most everyone acknowledged it as a cool find and a very worthy car. Just because the membership didn't sing and dance the way the owner wanted them to and tell him that he was sitting on a million-dollar find isn't a reason to take your ball and go home.

Life's too short to get offended on behalf of inanimate objects.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Only additional note I would make is it seems like (I could be wrong) both Jim and owner din't have a deep knowledge on the subject car.  I know 2 folks who have Brewster Fords, one nice original, one restored, he might want to correspond with.  No one was pissing on it that I saw, he should reconsider engaging.

• Thanks 1

I often find myself the odd man out when it comes to pre war cars. I have learned a lot about them from the people on this forum. Someone will post a pic, I think the car is great looking only to have a plethora of comments about the cars colour being wrong, too much bling etc. Makes me feel dumb (ok not really). I for one thought the Brewster that is in question was a really cool looking car. I even liked the front end! But what do I know? Its a shame it was pulled but what the hey, there will be other cars to talk about. My car is a 1977 and I would surmise most on here dont even consider it an antique, let alone worthy of an aaca membership but I will stick around just because.......

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I often find myself the odd man out when it comes to pre war cars. I have learned a lot about them from the people on this forum. Someone will post a pic, I think the car is great looking only to have a plethora of comments about the cars colour being wrong, too much bling etc. Makes me feel dumb (ok not really). I for one thought the Brewster that is in question was a really cool looking car. I even liked the front end! But what do I know? Its a shame it was pulled but what the hey, there will be other cars to talk about. My car is a 1977 and I would surmise most on here dont even consider it an antique, let alone worthy of an aaca membership but I will stick around just because.......

W72 four speed is welcome anywhere.  Heck, I’d support getting it accepted in the CCCA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Who made them, what were the in? Photos might help, Post WWII vehicle? 

Just installed in the four speed Trans Am,  1977-1970.   If you ordered an automatic you got an Olds engine that was the same size and shape and about 1/2 as powerful.

• Like 1

I had to Google the Brewster to see what all the fuss was about.   34-36, what unique styling with that long heart shaped grill and those swept up open front fenders  To me it's a head turner,   no--not to look away in disgust but because I've never seen anything like it.   Is there?  Definitely different.  If someone was going to give me one I wouldn't turn it down.

I'd encourage the original poster to repost the picture.

• Like 2

The W72 comments shows how far a thread can digress.  Hard to think anyone interested in old cars doesn’t know what a Brewster is, and as Matt stated, love or hate and little middle ground.  Gee that sounds familiar.

If one doesn’t want comments, don’t post it.  Owner offended by comparing visage to crazy drawing?  That’s just silly…..I’m much more offended by owner letting a relatively rare car fall into such disrepair in poor storage.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, trimacar said:

......Hard to think anyone interested in old cars doesn’t know what a Brewster is.......

I'm not worldly.   Not an expert and don't claim to be.   I have many interests and cars don't dominate the rest.  I don't make my living knowing the hobby inside out.   I'm actually very shallow and one dimensional when it comes to cars,  I know mine best,  if I'd turn sideways I'd likely vanish!

Personally, I’ve always loved the Brewster look, and would gladly have one in the garage - if I had room and spare cash that is. It’s the kind of car that you first get your wife the right wig, then a Dalmatian, and the personalized plate DEVILLE and go with it…

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, trimacar said:

The W72 comments shows how far a thread can digress.  Hard to think anyone interested in old cars doesn’t know what a Brewster is, and as Matt stated, love or hate and little middle ground.  Gee that sounds familiar.

If one doesn’t want comments, don’t post it.  Owner offended by comparing visage to crazy drawing?  That’s just silly…..I’m much more offended by owner letting a relatively rare car fall into such disrepair in poor storage.

To me its hard to think someone doesnt know what a W72 Trans Am is. Just shows why the diversity on this site may be helpful to some. I had heard the name Brewster, but honestly I thought they were a body company such as Rollson, Fleetwood, etc. I had no idea they made a specific car. FWIW I think that car was phenomenal, goes back to a comment I made about cars looking alike. This one was def. different and to me in a good way.

• Like 3

I have known about the Brewster Ford's as well as some of the Brewster history since I was about twelve. I read about them in library books. As I have said many times, I was a strange kid.

As for loving them or hating them? I like the things. Although they interested me early on, they are newer than what really interests me. If I had many hundreds of millions of dollars to spend and room and time to play with anything and everything? I would probably have one. But I would have to have about a hundred other cars first.

As for the W72 Trans Am? Never heard of it.

Like I said. I was a strange kid.

• Like 1

Brewster made probably the best constructed custom body in America in the first half of the 20th century,  as well as a complete automobile in the early post WWI era and the Brewster Ford in the 1930s after RR of America when belly up.    Formed in the 19th century as a carriage builder,  they transitioned to coachbuilding cars,   and was purchased by RR of American in 1927.  

Anyone interested in Brewster should read one or all of these books.  

1. Rolls-Royce In America (John Webb de Campi)

2.  The American Rolls-Royce: A Comprehensive History of Rolls-Royce of America (Soutter, Arthur)

3. An Inkling of Brewster (Frank Wismer)

Image 1 - Rolls-Royce In America (John Webb de Campi)

31048518089.jpg

An Inkling of Brewster: Brewster and Company Automobiles and the Wealthy  Who Owned Them: Wismer III, Frank E: 9781477107706: Amazon.com: Books

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TAKerry said:

"The Definitive Firebird & Trans Am Guide 19701/2-1981"

By Rocky Rotella

Rocky is THE guy when it comes to these cars.

WTF!   So, in order for me to become the Trans Am expert around here,  I'm going to need to spend 160 bucks on this book!!!!   Thats for a used one.

• Haha 3

On 1/22/2022 at 8:10 PM, alsancle said:

WTF!   So, in order for me to become the Trans Am expert around here,  I'm going to need to spend 160 bucks on this book!!!!   Thats for a used one.

What can I say, its an exclusive club! LOL

Really though, I paid around $35 ($34.95 plus shipping) with a pre order and the author signed it! 

I do seem to recall now that it may be out of print. Wish I had bought 4 or 5 for resale at this point.

• Like 1