DOES ANYBODY HAVE A 1956 BUICK POWER STEERING ASSEMBLY FOR SALE?

Dynaflash8

The 1956 Buick front end was almost exactly the same as a 1939 Buick front end.  Kingpins, tie rod ends all of it.

So, it is possible to install power steering in a 1939 Buick Special/Century without resorting to a clipped front end of modern wheels.  Perfect to build a resto-rod.  Use a Jeep 258 ci straight 6 engine and automatic transmission, 1956 Buick power steering and Chevy pickup rear with automatic transmission and a custom driveshaft.  Heights remain the same, as do wheels, etc.  Install aftermarket air condition and twelve volt wiring and bulbs and you have a resto-rod that looks just like a 1939 Special.  Original straight 8 was 248 ci. in a '39 Special, so it should pull fine and the strait six leaves plenty of room for the A/C compressor and power steering pump and reservoir.  So the hardest part to find is the '56 Buick power steering assembly.  Actually I guess 1953-1954 Buick power steering would work just as well.  Ball joints weren't used on Buick's until 1957 (such as they were "loose in the factory box".  Does this make sense?

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

The 1956 Buick front end was almost exactly the same as a 1939 Buick front end.  Kingpins, tie rod ends all of it.

So, it is possible to install power steering in a 1939 Buick Special/Century without resorting to a clipped front end of modern wheels.  Perfect to build a resto-rod.  Use a Jeep 258 ci straight 6 engine and automatic transmission, 1956 Buick power steering and Chevy pickup rear with automatic transmission and a custom driveshaft.  Heights remain the same, as do wheels, etc.  Install aftermarket air condition and twelve volt wiring and bulbs and you have a resto-rod that looks just like a 1939 Special.  Original straight 8 was 248 ci. in a '39 Special, so it should pull fine and the strait six leaves plenty of room for the A/C compressor and power steering pump and reservoir.  So the hardest part to find is the '56 Buick power steering assembly.  Actually I guess 1953-1954 Buick power steering would work just as well.  Ball joints weren't used on Buick's until 1957 (such as they were "loose in the factory box".  Does this make sense?

Earl, are you building a hot-rod???

Terry

• Like 1

Terry, Ha, maybe so if I wasn't so old.  I live in the modified capital of the world.  Only the one pre-war Buick anymore, the original '39.  Sold the '41, it was heavy and hot.  No, don't have $50K to build a '39 resto-rod.  Did buy a '71 Dodge Swinger because it had power steering and factory A/C.  Don't worry, you'll feel the same slowdown when you get over 80.  Have a great 2022, hope to see you in VaBeach.

• Like 1