Help Needed

Paul Brook

Hi Folks

I run a restoration company in IK and we have just been asked to sort this out. I think it is a 1906 Model D, but am not sure. I do not even know if the engine is correct as there seems to be no fan on the front.  Pretty sure the hood is wrong too. Next post has some engine images

Can anyone help a poor confused Brit out????

Thank you!!

20211116_170823.jpg

20211116_170837.jpg

20211116_170843.jpg

Hood incorrect, as are the lamps mounted at the body behind the rear doors and on the dash board. Later modifications. Franklin Club library may be able to provide images of proper items I just mentioned from period sales or parts book. Worth the funds to joining the club to have access to the information that can be copied for a reasonable fee. You may be able to locate via that club someone who owns a similar car with all the proper period factory equipment and if possible for their cost to do so get photos of what belongs and measurements so you will know what you may eventually buy is the right parts. Lacking headlamp forks at front as well.

Have patience! the people who will help will be doing it on their time and schedule to do so .

18 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Hood incorrect, as are the lamps mounted at the body behind the rear doors and on the dash board. Later modifications. Franklin Club library may be able to provide images of proper items I just mentioned from period sales or parts book. Worth the funds to joining the club to have access to the information that can be copied for a reasonable fee. You may be able to locate via that club someone who owns a similar car with all the proper period factory equipment and if possible for their cost to do so get photos of what belongs and measurements so you will know what you may eventually buy is the right parts. Lacking headlamp forks at front as well.

Have patience! the people who will help will be doing it on their time and schedule to do so .

Thank you. I have joined the Franklin club and am already searching through their archived information. I do not think that there are more than one or two in England, so seeing the real deal is a problem. This is not helped by there being nop identifying numbers or plates on the vehicle itself. But I will solve things eventually!

You will not see one in England or Europe as far as I can tell. When the world health clears up a bit it may be worth a airplane trip to the USA to inspect a similar car first hand with someone that has one and make prior arrangements to do so. Not inexpensive but could save a lot of hours with you measuring and knowing what to photograph, look for to answer your questions. If you locate the proper lamps , brackets it may be something you can bring home as luggage and be secure that it arrives in good condition!  The cost to package properly and ship the lamps probably would equal the cost of a plane ticket!

I have in the past found and shipped lamps to a friend in England and the cost and stress involved of when the lamps would arrive was just unfortunate. All went well but....................

I have brought some car related things in the UK and taken them back to the USA for some extra cost on the airplane - including a wooden full size fair ground motorcycle from the very early 1950s , wrapped in bubble wrap! A wooden double deck toy bus from 1925 ( that I sat with on my lap for 7+ hours in flight) . It can be done - lots of patience.......

I wondered when this car would pop up again - it's nice to see it is getting some attention.   I have not personally seen it since it was in the Bridgewater Museum. 

There is nothing on the car that is Franklin. There was some thought it might be a Middleby, but have never confirmed  it.  The engine does not look like a Middleby.  A very interesting mystery car. 

Tom Rasmussen

On 1/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, odyssey said:

I wondered when this car would pop up again - it's nice to see it is getting some attention.   I have not personally seen it since it was in the Bridgewater Museum. 

There is nothing on the car that is Franklin. There was some thought it might be a Middleby, but have never confirmed  it.  The engine does not look like a Middleby.  A very interesting mystery car. 

Tom Rasmussen

Thanks Tom - incredibly helpful 

I was looking at the car earlier, it has the curved tube front axle, but the curve is not the same shape as the Franklin "curve".  The more I looked at it today, with what you have told me in mind, the more it looks like a replica. Maybe based on a handful of bits including possibly the engine, but there is much about it that gives me a sense of re-creation rather than repair/restoration. Making such a thing would not be wildly difficult.  

Edited by Paul Brook (see edit history)

On 1/18/2022 at 7:10 PM, Walt G said:

You will not see one in England or Europe as far as I can tell. When the world health clears up a bit it may be worth a airplane trip to the USA to inspect a similar car first hand with someone that has one and make prior arrangements to do so. Not inexpensive but could save a lot of hours with you measuring and knowing what to photograph, look for to answer your questions. If you locate the proper lamps , brackets it may be something you can bring home as luggage and be secure that it arrives in good condition!  The cost to package properly and ship the lamps probably would equal the cost of a plane ticket!

I have in the past found and shipped lamps to a friend in England and the cost and stress involved of when the lamps would arrive was just unfortunate. All went well but....................

I have brought some car related things in the UK and taken them back to the USA for some extra cost on the airplane - including a wooden full size fair ground motorcycle from the very early 1950s , wrapped in bubble wrap! A wooden double deck toy bus from 1925 ( that I sat with on my lap for 7+ hours in flight) . It can be done - lots of patience.......

Haha - I know what you mean about shipping. That said I took delivery yesterday of a lovely pair of acetylene lamps for my old 1929 Mack AC truck.  They were beautifully boxed and the shipping came to $85. They took maybe 10 days to arrive. I just need to save up for the matching side lamps now......