Off topic, but interesting (not mine)

MODERATOR: If this is too far off topic, please delete.  I just thought it was interesting and unusual.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4599037026877469/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_general&referral_story_type=general&tracking={"qid"%3A"-7039971191692808895"%2C"mf_story_key"%3A"51660879547840473"%2C"commerce_rank_obj"%3A"{\"target_id\"%3A51660879547840473%2C\"target_type\"%3A6%2C\"primary_position\"%3A31%2C\"ranking_signature\"%3A0%2C\"commerce_channel\"%3A1000%2C\"value\"%3A0%2C\"upsell_type\"%3A122%2C\"grouping_info\"%3Anull}"%2C"lightning_feed_qid"%3A"-7040007750422959796"%2C"lightning_feed_ranking_signature"%3A"6311931187136823296"}

MLS#254897 Melissa Leinweber Re/Max Home and Land Melissaurrealtor.com        No phone # posted.    $130,000.

Vintage service station in small town. 32 miles south of Spokane, 35 miles from Spokane International Airport(GEG).Rosalia WA.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this property.No photo description available.No photo description available.No photo description available.

No photo description available.No photo description available.

Edited by f.f.jones
Added info (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Neat old station but might be a bit hard to sell. 

These numbers don't paint a pretty picture. 

https://www.city-data.com/city/Rosalia-Washington.html

Estimated per capita income in 2019: $27,904 (it was $14,121 in 2000)
Estimated median household income in 2019: $54,551 (it was $33,214 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2019: $135,374 (it was $75,900 in 2000)

I doubt it would sell to a local. It's not a boom town. A retired out-of-area buyer looking for something different to maintain his collection in will probably be interested. Homes in this mostly agricultural area are quite reasonable compared to most metropolitan areas. The cultural, business, educational, and recreational amenities of a mid-sized city are close by.  Other old commercial buildings are often available, large and solid enough to house a car collection. It might be just what someone is looking for.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this property.

Edited by f.f.jones
Added info (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The asking price is reflective of the area. I am in a rural area halfway between Bmore and Philly. That same building would be triple the asking price. 

As far as tanks, A number of years ago they did a 'Mainstreet upgrade' in our small town. Mainstreet is 2 miles at the most. At one time (I remember them well I might add) there were no less than 4 gas stations (very similar to the one shown) and 3 car dealers along that stretch. When the contractor started digging they found an umpteen number of buried tanks that not only set back construction but resulted in massive cost overruns. I remember an oldtimer saying that all they had to do was ask and he could have pointed out each one! 

• Like 2

A couple of properties like that were converted into nice cafe/restaurants in San Jose. Not sure there are enough customers in that area to support it as a restaurant, but lots of good options. Of course, if it were near a population center, the price would be a multiple of $130K.

• Like 1

I can't find the thread now, but not too long ago a guy posted a picture of one of those prefab metal gas stations sitting in a salvage yard in Colorado.   It looked to be of 20s -30 vintage.   Would be awesome as shop space in the back yard.   Maybe a better idea than the subject station in this thread.

This isn't the one I'm thinking of but it was very similar.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=520575&page=all

OK guys, here's your chance to own a great piece of history - owner remembers it being there when he first saw it in the early 40's and it was still in operation. Believe these first came in use in the 20's? This baby would be off the chart awesome if restored. Think it measures 11'X14' and is mounted on a concrete slab. Still in the original spot it was built. Included a picture of the old oil change pit that is next to the station. Building was equipped with 2 restrooms in the rear. Station is located in Central Illinois. Buyer is responsible for removing - owner could offer some assistance. Asking price of $1200. Have about a dozen pictures so PM or email for additional information and if interested. Thanks!

gas stuff 001.JPG

• Like 3

Years ago, property owners had an option if they wanted to continue selling gasoline:

They had to install new tanks with liners to prevent ground leaks.

Otherwise, they had to remove them entirely ,or they could open them and fill them with sand and gravel.

Many marginal old stations chose to open and fill and went out of business.

That's probably why the concrete is broken up and gravel fills most of the area.

17 minutes ago, oldIHtruck said:

The in floor car lifts have an under floor oil tank with the cylinder. Prone to leak

I'm wondering how far you'd have to go to find someone that still works on those lifts. 

Had a chance to buy a property for really cheap that was formerly a small junkyard.  That was enough of a concern, but then I had a conversation with a friend of mine who has been around here for 80 years.  He told me that it had been a gas station decades ago, and there was a very good probability the tanks were never properly removed.  I was personally familiar with the junk yard as well.  It was the kind of place that if you needed a radiator, just cut the hoses and pull it out.  That coolant will dry up.  No doubt the same attitude extended to oil and gasoline.  

Yikes, no thanks.  Only thing worse than a property like this is an old fashioned dry cleaning plant.  Darn near everyone of those is an environmental problem.  

• Like 1

That's a cool old station. There's even a cooler one in my town that looks like it hasn't been used in decades. Doesn't look abandoned, per se, but unused. One of the things that makes it cool is that it's on more of a side street rather than a main thoroughfare. Remember when you used to see really small old grocery stores, drug stores and service stations on two lane streets that ran through old neighborhoods? My fantasy was to get that station and park my cars there.

• Like 1

I wish I still had photos, I did do a thread years ago when I found it, but in the town of Madrid, Iowa (pronounced Mad-rid) we resided for 10 years.  There was a service station at a corner in town, surrounded then and now by homes.  I took a curious interest in it and researched it. 

It was a White Eagle gas station and had it's original red roof and white paint.  Very cool.  At the time it was owned by a local family who was in construction.  They cared less about the history of it. 

Then all of a sudden he wanted to sell.  I was able to gain access and show my wife and dad, my dad was fascinated.  It was two bay, as a previous incarnation they added a bay or garage to the west side of the south facing building.  

I could not afford it, nor get a mortgage, so we agreed to a contract for sale.  Anyway, the lawyer took her time drawing up the contract and by then the goofy son had sold the place to a local guy who promptly painted it brown and cream with a new roof in black, totally covering up the White Eagle-ness of the place.  

He was into hobby stock circle eight nonsense and the place looked horrible.  I think my agreed price was $25,000 to $30,000.  A bargain in my opinion.  I would have used it for restorations, a man cave was planned for the retail portion, just a place to chill and get away but I was also going to restore it with pumps, new concrete, White Eagle replica adornments.  And basically make it available to old car folks to stop in/by.  

Madrid has two original gas stations and the other one is an ice cream shop

22 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

We came across this one in rural Western MA a few years back.  It has since sold (pizza place was closed, garage abandoned when this was taken..) and I believe will be or is now a local area history/museum. 

20161016_163417.jpg

That place is awesome!   Too bad about the Mercedes parked in front.  I'll bet the tanks are still under there.

Ok, the A would have bern more in line with it but it is what it is. 😎

Better shot with R107 Panzerwagon barely visible.  I recall I pressed nose to garage shop doors and wished I could get inside, old fanbelts, misc. Dusty old stuff still on walls, looked like it was untouched for a very long time.  

This is route 20, get a few miles west of Springfield and it's cool rural scenery right into NYS.

20161016_163023.jpg