For Sale: 1962 Mercury Monterey Hardtop - "Excellent, Original CA car and paint" - Alameda, CA - Not Mine - 1/16 Deleted

For sale on Craigslist: 1962 Mercury Monterey 2-door Hardtop in Alameda, CA  -  $16,500  -  No phone # provided. Reply to Seller through Craigslist's email to: 223cb4c072343b5abaebf72b5bc38baa@sale.craigslist.org

Link: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/alameda-vintage-1962-mercury-monterey/7433310249.html

Seller's Description:

1962 Mercury Monterey 2-door Hardtop

• condition: excellent
  • cylinders: 8 cylinders
  • transmission: automatic
  • odometer: 72,000
  • paint color: green
  • title status: clean

An original classic car. A rare Mercury Monterey with 72,000 original miles. The car is a well cared for original example with a great sounding Alpine stereo which was installed without altering any part of the interior, such as cutting holes in the doors for speakers and the deck was mounted under the dash to keep the console original.

• It has the strong 352 V8 engine paired to the Merc-O-Matic automatic transmission. The transmission was professionally rebuilt last year to remedy a leaky seal.
  • Much time and money has been spent to keep this car in tip top shape such as: new brakes, brake booster rebuilt, new shocks, new battery and much more.
  • In the past month a new heater core, recent oil change and new belts were installed.
  • Brand new thin line white wall tires were recently installed as well with less than 200 miles on them.
  • The car body is in great shape. There are a couple of quarter size spots or rust cancer on the passenger side. The paint is original and is worn away on the hood and top. I never wanted to have it repainted as I think the car looks better with the patina of the original paint.

It has the original 1962 California license plates. I have owned the car for about a decade and I am the third owner. It comes with a set of fender skirts. Also, has the original keys and manual book. Sorry, I am not looking for a trade. Please contact me with any questions and for a showing.

image.png.08f829a76a4c8897bc0071f0dd202ba0.png

image.png.a0d51f6fdcc4038d209ae1c7148fa845.png

image.png.573e5971b6d9156b17330f62f94b44fb.png

image.png.aa4a531dd8cb3730979971dfc5463b44.png

image.png.d575a3af9e11e10c7aae3b7e99e3520c.png

image.png.8f8b44f1d002222b03de47bc2f9385b3.png

image.png.1956d44033246d7753779ca4538c512e.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The front grille emblem is missing.   Otherwise very nicely preserved survivor.  That soft metallic green was quite poplar, very Mid-Century Modern taste.  Interesting that Mercury reprised the contrasting window frieze color panel for 1962 only, after those had been so popular on the 1955-'56 models.

Yes! Toss the fender skirts: stamped wheel lip flares and moldings are incongruous with them.

• Like 1

It's doubtful anyone will be paying anywhere near $16.5K for this Mercury with that splotchy white paint on the hood. The hood should be repainted but then it won't match and the whole car will need refinished, an expensive proposition today. With the repaint, the new owner will have far more invested than the car's worth. Color is subjective but I don't care for that shade of green at all. Throw the fender skirt away, there's only one of them in the pictures and they're hard to sell unless you have a pair.

Shame about the hood. It definitely kills the asking price. A good paint shop might be able to match it but at what cost? That needs to be addressed before anything near the asking price can be realized. I agree, the skirts need to go too.

• Like 1

Several comments about the skirts, but that is small stuff, kind of like fuzzy dice. Throw it away if it bothers you, neither one will effect the selling point. I do agree that the hood will impact the sale of this car. For the asking price I believe the owner will have to either correct this, or make a price adjustment. The rest of the car looks pretty straight to me. 

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1962 Mercury Monterey Hardtop - "Excellent, Original CA car and paint" - Alameda, CA - Not Mine - 1/16 Deleted