One off built speedster with actual spec sheet that has been in many magazines through the decades, 1935 forward

With respect,

I would take it that an actual spec sheet on a car's build would represent documentation of what it was first built with.

Is this a correct assumption?

In regards to a hand beat panel car, do the Senior judges prefer to see hammer/stretch/roller marks on the inside of the metal.

After 30 years, I am finally getting to restore the car, and I do not want to make dumb errors because I did not ask the experts.

A long time Pebble senior told me the car could run in two classes, pre war race, and pre war sports. Does the AACA have the same type classes?

Respectfully \

John

Edited by harris speedster (see edit history)

• harris speedster changed the title to One off built speedster with actual spec sheet that has been in many magazines through the decades, 1935 forward

AACA has a class for documented race vehicles - Class 24.  All vehicles in this class must have documentation that the vehicle was actually operated in a recognized or documented contest of speed or acceleration on a road, hill climb or gymkhana course.  Prior to entering an AACA National, an application must be made through the AACA National Office for certification by the Race Car Certification Committe.

Contact the AACA National Office and they can put you in contact with the Chairman of the Race Car Certification Committe who can answer your questions.

• Like 1

Interesting car.......and a fun project to get it back on the road. I think the questions are broad in scope.....from the little I know, I would refer to the car as a special. Because of WWI creating a cut off date,  using a number of convenience of 1920 in my vernacular we would refer to it as a pre war special. If it was built before 1920 we would refer to it as a pre WWI special. Since production was never intended........and it probably was envisioned as a street and track car, and used as such.......... I think I would refer to it as a 1936 Harris Special. So many specials were built and driven on the open road that “ classifying“ them is really only important when registering for events and finding a place for them to “fit in for display or judging.” Since specials come in all shapes, sizes, and how shall we say inspired or uninspired design..... I’m of the opinion they should be stand alone or feature cars at shows and events. Trying to toss them in somewhere to fill out a class is usually not fair to anyone looking to participate in normal car show competition. Since your car suffered a substantial fire....documentation of what survived and what is used on the car now is obviously important. Replacing the skin during a restoration on such a car that didn’t burn would probably be considered just for ease of restoration. So replacement of it from the fire shouldn’t be any concern. Trying to keep as much frame, chassis, engine components and accessories is important. If it were mine I would use heroic methods to save as much as possible and still make the car safe for the road. It’s the nature of Specials to evolve and change over time while still in the original owners hands. Usually they get better as time goes on from a looks and performance standpoint. Thus it’s important to “pick a date” to put the car back to..........I would do it to the initial design for a bunch of reasons.......even if later modifications were great improvements. Photos, articles, newspapers........all of it should be digitized and archived. We have a saying when dealing with one off show cars and specials........”Let the car be the car.”  Seldom are they perfect, free from design flaws and engineering issues.........but being true to its original design with the good and the bad is what is important. Too many similar cars get “new” and “overblown” stories added to them......and it’s all totally unnecessary. Having done some similar type projects.......photos of the building where it was built in 1936 as seen today is an example of what should be documented. I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way to try and figure out a classification for every  club or show to try and get the car to fit in.......get the whole story down in chronological order, make a small presentation catalog of it, and then just submit the catalog to the organization and let them figure it out. If I wasn’t in agreement with what and where they want to place it on the field.......I wouldn’t show it. Most events love specials and one off’s........so getting on the grass shouldn’t be hard when it’s finished. Take your time, do it right, and most importantly.....have fun doing it. Good and unique cars find their way through the hobby........and there isn’t much interesting in the way of one offs and specials from the 1935-1942 era.......... so I expect your vehicle will be popular anywhere you decide to show it. 

If you want some additional input or advice PM me........Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Ed is correct.   This car is the "Schumacher Special"  Built in 1929-1932.   Stutz Chassis and #11 Body of 14 cars built by Schumacher Motor Service in Yonkers NY.

I've never bothered with any of the club classifications or having it accepted by the CCCA for Classic status because it would be welcome at any concours I feel like bringing it to.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 539.jpg

• Like 2