Me and My 1956 Buick Roadmaster 4 Door Sedan Model 72

usnavystgc

Ok, I got some things done this weekend. I'm not good at taking before pics but here are the after(s). 

It's crazy the difference between the two cars regarding this brake plate and rubber plate. This brake plate is deteriorated on the right upper where the gas pedal would be (lower left in the pic). Presumably from the driver walking on salt laden sidewalks then driving with wet boots.  The standoff that holds the rubber plate was totally gone so I had to make a new one and weld it on (don't laugh at my welds or my painting.  This will be hidden by carpet and the rubber plate.  The other side is better, I promise.  :) ).  Overall, it is functional.

You can clearly see the pitting on that side (lower left in the pic).  The same plate in Beaut is in beautiful shape.  Beaut's floorboards took the damage (probably from the same cause).  The floorboards on this one are in exceptional condition.

137575.jpeg.bf74c62bb6fa5d71211f1b18dc80cde8.jpeg

The rubber plate/cover (below) was revived to like new condition with a good scrubbing with soapy water and a treatment of Mother's Back to Black.  On Beaut, this plate is in terrible condition.  It is dry rotted, cracking and parts of it are missing completely.  

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new one of these since they are about $250 on oldbuickparts.com

20220531_101353.jpg.b3a8c855728929c5be37f50d39e217de.jpg

Edited by usnavystgc (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lancemb said:

Here is another drivetrain.  Seller will probably come down on price.  This is in Tennessee.  Where are you located and how far are you willing to travel?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2525571274/permalink/10159227532086275/

Hi Lance.  I guess it just depends on the condition and price.  Tennessee is def closer but, unfortunately, this person wants to sell the whole car and wants $3k for it.  By the time I get this car here, it would be $5k+.  Then I have to deal with a likely full rebuild of the engine and tranny (which is another $5-8K if I do the work myself).  That makes my cost for the engine and tranny about $10-13k plus all the work.  Logistically, I have no more room for another car so buying a whole car for the engine and tranny isn't something I can do.  Those are the realities I'm dealing with.  I'm willing to pay a decent price for a good running engine and sound tranny but, those do seem elusive.  

I will say that I'm very appreciative of the way you look to help me find something.  Let's keep looking to see if we can find a good running engine and tranny (hopefully within 10 hours driving distance).  These are my thoughts, I have a good running engine and tranny in Beaut that can be transplanted into the Roadie.  As much as I would like to keep Beaut whole, my current best option is to move forward with that transplant.  Executing that transplant will be one of the last things on my list.  Before that, I plan to do all the exterior bodywork, paint, upholstery, undercarriage, suspension, engine compartment detail and a host of miscellaneous tasks.

So, what I'm saying is, I have lots of time to try a locate an engine/tranny for the transplant.  I will keep looking for the right deal until the Roadie is ready to receive its engine and tranny.  If the right deal doesn't come along, the transplant from Beaut will move forward.

I hope this helps all understand my situation and my thinking.  

• Like 1

On another note, the Roadie (which I'm going to call Beast not Bittersweet) has brakes, including emergency/parking brakes.  She has now been moved out of the garage and Beaut has been moved in.  Beaut will be getting her front floorboards replaced so I can get some practice welding before I begin the body work on Beast.  

Here's Beaut and Beast in a column in my driveway/garage.

20220604_193109.jpg.0533936bcaa40934e79777cbaf1d4b64.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I recently acquired a Singer 111W154 industrial sewing machine (for free) and I plan to use it to reupholster the seats on this car. Just like welding, I am a total novice so it will be a steep learning curve. Thankfully I have a lady friend who is a very experienced seamstress. There are also a few on this forum who are well versed in auto upholstery and of course there is YouTube. 

I plan to refinish the front seat on Beaut first so I can get some practice.  If all goes well, I will move into redoing the front seat on Beast.

Anyway, here's the machine.

142083.jpeg.e1e1f6f2ce5c2096897fcce07a48d685.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Ok, looking for advice from the forum.  I found what I think is a good 56 tranny out of a 56 Century.  It is located in KC MO and the guy just wants beer money for it.  He has agreed to drop it off at the shipping dock for me. 

My first question is, 

1)  Will there be any issues using that tranny with this car?  I know the prop shaft wont fit but, thankfully I have the original prop shaft and torque tube for this car.  Will my prop shaft work with this tranny or is there something I don't know?

2)  One of the things the shipping company requires is that they drop it off in a non residential are and I need to have a way to get the pallet/tranny off of the truck.  How heavy are these trannys?  Any ideas how to offload it?  Any ideas on where I can have them go to to offload it?

Unlike 55's where the tranny length was different depending on series, it is my understanding that all 56 used the same tranny.

1 hour ago, usnavystgc said:

I know the prop shaft wont fit

Explain why?

Weight is over 200# and due to bulky nature requires 3 strong guys:  2 on some long 1-2 ft bolts in the bell housing and one on the tailshaft.  That is to get it off the floor and move it; if it is 5ft off the ground in a trailer....??

Ok well thank you all for the advice. I went ahead with the transaction and the dynaflow is on the way :)

$125 for the tranny, rear end gears, prop shaft and torque tube.  $350 for shipping.  The person I bought it from went to a 700R4 and open driveshaft but, he kept the 322 in place.  Now I just need an engine and all the accessories.  Please keep an eye out for a 56 322 4V for me.

received_464672282342066.jpeg.ad644c70ef76b93f97fe5eaef5c9b261.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

While repairing the leak on Beaut's torque ball, I realized that this tranny did not come with a torque ball.  With that in mind, I have a couple of questions;

1)  What year of torque balls will work on a 56?  Is it only 56 or are there other years that are the same?

2)  Does anyone have a compatible torque ball that they could part with or know of anyone with one?

You will need the speedometer gear from a Roadmaster.  Not certain of that part number but since I believe the rear axle gears are the same for the Century, Super , and Roadmaster, while the tires size is different for each, that means the speedometer gear has to be different.  I know in my 56 where I used a Roadmaster rear axle and larger tire size my speedometer is 10 mile an hour faster at 55 mph. It reads 65 when I'm running 55 mph. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just because I haven't been posting doesn't mean nothing is going on. I have officially began the rust repair on the Roadie. The rear dog legs are the worst so, I decided to start there cuz why start with the easy stuff? 

This is a lot worse than it seemed, for one the rust extended way beyond what you could see. The rocker panel was completely full of fertile PA dirt. Whoever decided to route the rear wing window drain to the rocker panel wasn't very smart.  There's also about 5 different panels involved in this repair but, I will get it done little by little.

Let me zoom you in on what's going on here. 154255.jpeg.46a8acaa0adaaccd51350c5cc7cfd691.jpeg20221229_185701.jpg.127457521a788430f8fd7872cb813aae.jpg20230102_145309.jpg.3b15e41d03bf983b6985a384869f5a72.jpg20221230_161327.jpg.c3a5b5e608dd7f68a990dca8dddac096.jpg

154302.jpeg

154387.jpeg

20221229_185655.jpg

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

Ok all, it's been particularly hot here and I just haven't felt like bearing that heat to work on the car but, I have an interesting development to share with you all.  

This popped up on FB Marketplace yesterday evening and I'm looking at this as a possible candidate to supply an engine for the Roadie.  I will not be paying $3K for it btw. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/682236740592654/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Here's what I know so far:

1)  The young man who owns the car knows nothing about it but claims to have owned the car since he was 16 he looks to be in his mid 20's now.

2)  The car has no title

Here are my thoughts.

1)  Since there is no title, the car is pretty much useless other than for parts (I know there are ways to get a title)

2)  Unfortunately it's a 55 so, the engine will not have the upgraded horsepower of the 56 engine

3)  I've been looking for an engine for a while and haven't had a lot of success

4)  Since this car is AZ car it appears virtually rust free so, I will have parts for a Century or Special if anyone needs them

I've asked the young man to send me some pics of the engine compartment.  I will update you all as this progresses.

It cannot be determined  if it is a Special or a Century.  And since its a 54 that could be the 264 or the 322

Would help if you can see the carb. The Special would have a 2 bbl. The Century a 4 bbl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KAD36 said:

The pictures are of a 54 sedan and the ad is for a 55 wagon…what’s under the hood?

I asked him to send me pics under the hood but nothing yet.  I may go look at it tonight.

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

The Century a 4 bbl

I'm so hoping its a Century

43 minutes ago, The 55er said:

The car pictured in the Tucson FB ad is a 1954 Century.

Could it not also be a Special?

51 minutes ago, usnavystgc said:

I asked him to send me pics under the hood but nothing yet.  I may go look at it tonight.

I'm so hoping its a Century

Could it not also be a Special?

I'm basing my Century identification on the fact that these three mouldings (F, G, and I) that show up on the FB picture of the  side of the car only came on Centurys, the Special models didn't have them. Also, I'm assuming the person that posted the FB ad is calling it a Century because that's what the badging says somewhere on the car or maybe on the dashboard right in front of the steering wheel. 

IMG_1606.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 2:32 PM, usnavystgc said:

The vacuum seal arrived yesterday and here's the final assembled brake booster/master cylinder assy.  The internals on this one were in better shape than Beauts and since this is my second go around, it was easier.  The rebuild cost about $35 including paint.  Since all the internal parts are in a sealed environment, they are mostly reusable.  Clean up of rust, dirt and grease was the major part of the rebuild, then replacement of internal seals.  I made my own gaskets and ordered all seals from either the Oring Store LLC or Orings and more.  Shipping cost more than the seals.  There's 3 types of seals in these, 1 leather seal (main power piston), 3 U cup seals and several O rings.  One thing I learned is, you can save money by buying the seals yourself rather than buying a rebuild kit. It's a little more work but, I'm cheap so, its worth it to me.  

137454.jpeg.1d1b55edb0fa6a1a1abbe49eb9e351d9.jpeg

Since i'm now a certified expert on this rebuild :) , I would be glad to assist anyone attempting to tackle this.  The manual is very detailed regarding the assembly but, some of the language is confusing and it requires a lot of rereading and referencing the diagrams to familiarize yourself with the parts nomenclature.  The diagrams are very detailed but, you sometimes have to look close to get the detail you need.  There is no exploded view in the manual but, one is likely available in a parts diagram somewhere.  

I know this is a slightly older post, but a few years ago I had a shop rebuild the unit of my '56 Roadmaster, and though I returned it to them, I'm still not happy with the way it works. It feels as though it's only partly working. I think I need to do this to mine, take it apart and rebuild it myself. So I might hot you up with some questions!

Keith

• 4 months later...

Good news on the homefront, I have purchased the engine from Mudbone's fire damaged 55 Century for transplant into the Roadie.  The engine search is finally over.  I'm sure I will need other things but, this is a good start.

• Like 5