Lost Car Rescue TV show

J.H.Boland

Yet another car show premiered on History channel Thursday night (9:00 PM EST)and Friday at 4 PM EST. Lost Car Rescue features a young team of car hunters using a small two seater spotter plane, a 1988 cab-over tractor with a crane equipped flat bed trailer,and a Dodge Power Wagon to seek out hidden treasures in the Peace River country of northern British Columbia. In the first episode, they use a helicopter to lift a '34 Chevy coupe from the edge of a beaver pond, buy a partially restored '59 Buick Invicta coupe from an aging collector, find and buy a second gen. Land Rover ,and after a five year search, find a complete 1930 Model A Deluxe roadster. It looks like it will be an entertaining series.

Lost Car Rescue.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland
Heading change (see edit history)

• J.H.Boland changed the title to Lost Car Rescue TV show

Looks interesting. That's a pretty remote area of the province. And rather sparsely populated.  It's been picked over reasonably thoroughly from an early car point of view over the years. But in general terms the 1930 and up cars were usually of little interest. So no doubt still a few " finds "  out there. 

Other than the value to the TV production, if you are using a helicopter to retrieve a 34 Chevy coupe that has sat next to a swamp for decades you have probably spent something like 10 times the value of the relic on the recovery. But that's show biz.

P.S., I noticed on utube one of the comment's mentioned the crew of this show had " helped themselves " to vehicles on a friends private property. It might look like wilderness, but the land is often privately owned. Due to the climate a good number of the owners are only part time residents . But that doesn't mean every old vehicle is abandoned and up for grabs to anyone willing to drag it out of the bush.

It probably would not make good TV, but the air spotter really would have to have a map showing Crown Land vs private property. Cars on Crown Land are probably fair game, but getting permission from a private owner can be a very drawn out process . Many times even after all the leg work to contact them they are either going to tell you to get lost or will want an unrealistic amount of money for rusty old tin. Then there is the sometimes anything but straightforward process of sorting out the paperwork. B.C. is easier than a lot of what I am hearing about U.S. titles. But still several hoops to jump through.

Reality vs reality TV.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Found a promo on You Tube which only mentions 1/13

Might have been on last night but not scheduled for next Thursday.

It's listed for at least the 20th and 27th of January.

I watched it last night. Lots of production, stuff done and said just for the camera. For non-car people- it will be interesting and entertaining probably, for car guys it will probably frustrate. One example, last night they were chasing an "ultra-rare" 1929 Model A roadster, referred to it all throughout the episode. Once they found it at the end, they mis-identified a 1930 roadster as a 1929. Another example, they are rescuing a 1934 chevy coupe, and show background clips and b-roll of 31,32 and 36 chevs instead. They hired a chopper to extract the coupe from the edge of a swamp, and burned a lot of av-gas in the airplane they were hunting from the air with. Finally, one more observation was that they spotted two land cruisers from the air in a field. They called their guys on the ground to go look. They found them, and with the cameras rolling headed out to look at them in the field. While looking them over, on private property, with the hood open already on one, the land owner rides up and they introduce themselves. Not the way i do things when hunting cars, always ask permission first to go on private land. 

The Peace country is reasonably remote even by British Columbia standards. As late as 1940 there were only about 8500 people spread over about 46,000 square miles. No doubt there are still a couple of gems in hiding , but a bit of a needle in a haystack.

I used to work with a guy who was seriously into the steam traction engine hobby. A substantial number of the big Canadian Prairie traction engines ended their working days running saw mills in the Peace Country in the 1930's and 40's . He told me there were several people who hunted for traction engines and parts quite extensively in this area in the 1950's , 60's and 70's. But any good vintage cars they came across were often purchased as well , either for their own collections or to be sold to help offset the engine hobby cost. So hardly an untapped resource .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Granted, it's made for TV, no different from American Pickers or other such shows. I still got a kick out of it, I suppose in some ways it reminds me of my car hunting days back in the sixties and seventies, when stuff could still be found on the back roads of southern Ontario. It is what it is, but it highlights some country I'll never see and watching young Jessica James handle the spotter plane is entertainment in itself.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

692054656_LostCarRescue.jpg.1c2ac24315a6be7be959f2f963e30d7c.jpgIs the guy with the gray cap and glasses the same star from Blind Frog Ranch, too much reality TV show  crossovers. 

Bob 

Don't think so Bob. The guy in the grey cap is body man Dave Mischuk. The lead guy on Blind Fog ranch is ranch owner Duane Ollinger, according to my quick research. Correct me if I'm wrong. Jim

• 4 weeks later...