Gasket Sealer for Fuel Pump 1965?

Brtele

I know I'm probably going to get torched on this.  I'm a fan of Permatex's Right Stuff for gasket sealant and typically utilize a very, very thin layer on both sides of gaskets that require sealant.  

Do you guys seal your Fuel Pump Gaskets or throw them on dry?

Before I get too torched, I did search the forum for answers along with the internet and got some OK answers.  Just wanting to get thoughts of the Riv members here.

Thanks,

I'm in both camps but on old cars like ours, I usually apply a very thin layer of something quick drying like contact cement or 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive to the fuel pump or "part side" of the gasket to hold it in position for the install of the part and another very thin layer of Right Stuff on the "engine side" of the gasket. The amount of sealant applied is thin enough so none oozes out the sides and is visible. Long answer for a simple task but I hate to see the sealer oozing out on the sides but realize a little help to seal is necessary sometimes.  

8 hours ago, Paul K. said:

I'm in both camps but on old cars like ours, I usually apply a very thin layer of something quick drying like contact cement or 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive to the fuel pump or "part side" of the gasket to hold it in position for the install of the part and another very thin layer of Right Stuff on the "engine side" of the gasket. The amount of sealant applied is thin enough so none oozes out the sides and is visible. Long answer for a simple task but I hate to see the sealer oozing out on the sides but realize a little help to seal is necessary sometimes.  

Completely agree. I didn’t end up using permatex’s right stuff on this application as I was really worried I wasn’t going to be able to get the bolts started prior to set up.

i used a very light film of permatex gasket sealant.

I do have to say, the gasket that came with the carquest unit had bolt holes that were slightly smaller than the bolts. This made it very easy to “hold” the gasket in place while finagling the pump into place.

12 hours ago, Brtele said:

carquest unit

So, on fuel pumps for our nailheads, what P/N would it be? Carquest?

I left one on the NAPA parts counter when I measured the inlet spigot as 5/16". Forgot what P/N that one was.

No longer do fuel pumps come with 1/8" NPT for both ports. The inlet has a fixed spigot and so far only for 5/16" hose.

Default is 5/16".

Thanks