Possible Chrysler transmission in my 31PA

31Jalopy

Several things to keep in mind:

• Chrysler assigned drawing/part numbers sequentially, the lower the number the older the part design.
  • Drawing/internal part numbers seemed to be for each step in manufacture. So a raw casting number, never supplied as a service part, is different than the machined casting that might have been available in the service parts books.

So, it is unlikely you will find that 601344 part number in any service parts book as it is the casting drawing number. You may find it in an after market interchange manual like Hollanders.

If you look at the Plymouth Master Parts Book for 1928-33 models you will see that the part numbers for the PA transmission case were in the 377xxx range (377550 for early PA and 377752 for later PA). You will not see any parts on the PA with a number as new as 600000. So your transmission is not original to the PA.

Next question is what was the original application for that transmission? The early 1933 PC and PD transmission cases were part 603728. It seems a little unlikely to me that a raw casting with a 601xxx number would, after machining, end up with a 603xxx number. Usually the numbers were closer than that. (My mental image is of the draftsman or engineer going to drawing control to get a set of numbers to use for the parts he is working on. “I need 30 numbers for the various parts in this transmission for the new PA model” he says, so the person in drawing control assigns 30 sequential numbers for the engineer to use on the drawings.) So it is unlikely that the transmission was originally fitted to a Plymouth.

2 hours ago, ply33 said:

Several things to keep in mind:

• Chrysler assigned drawing/part numbers sequentially, the lower the number the older the part design.
  • Drawing/internal part numbers seemed to be for each step in manufacture. So a raw casting number, never supplied as a service part, is different than the machined casting that might have been available in the service parts books.

So, it is unlikely you will find that 601344 part number in any service parts book as it is the casting drawing number. You may find it in an after market interchange manual like Hollanders.

If you look at the Plymouth Master Parts Book for 1928-33 models you will see that the part numbers for the PA transmission case were in the 377xxx range (377550 for early PA and 377752 for later PA). You will not see any parts on the PA with a number as new as 600000. So your transmission is not original to the PA.

Next question is what was the original application for that transmission? The early 1933 PC and PD transmission cases were part 603728. It seems a little unlikely to me that a raw casting with a 601xxx number would, after machining, end up with a 603xxx number. Usually the numbers were closer than that. (My mental image is of the draftsman or engineer going to drawing control to get a set of numbers to use for the parts he is working on. “I need 30 numbers for the various parts in this transmission for the new PA model” he says, so the person in drawing control assigns 30 sequential numbers for the engineer to use on the drawings.) So it is unlikely that the transmission was originally fitted to a Plymouth.

Very thorough information. Thank you. It must be a Chrysler product ? I wonder if I can just leave it be and use it? Time will tell as I move along through the drive train matching up everything. As of now, It may fit . The length is fine but the ebrake hub is larger and may be a problem ?  I also wonder if it is a good manufactured product. It seems to be and with a larger brake hub probably was for a larger car?

I suppose it is possible that some other manufacturer used numbers similar in style and value to Chrysler but it seems unlikely. So I think the odds are that it is for a Chrysler Product, probably for one designed prior to 1933. Since Plymouth was the baby of the corporation nearly any car it would have been designed for would have been bigger and might well have had a bigger parking brake assembly.

I think I’d try to figure out what the various ratios are in that transmission, if they are similar to those for the PA then it will probably work fine (as long as the condition is okay). If the ratios are significantly different than what originally came in the car there might be some drivability issues.

Looking at your photos, the location and shape of the gear select rods are totally different than used in the 1933/34 transmission. So definitely not for those later Plymouths.

Also looking at your photos, I think you have the original brake master cylinder. Seems like a lot have been replaced over the years with ones for later trucks but yours looks correct for the early 1930s era based on the vent tube assembly and cover.

10 minutes ago, ply33 said:

I suppose it is possible that some other manufacturer used numbers similar in style and value to Chrysler but it seems unlikely. So I think the odds are that it is for a Chrysler Product, probably for one designed prior to 1933. Since Plymouth was the baby of the corporation nearly any car it would have been designed for would have been bigger and might well have had a bigger parking brake assembly.

I think I’d try to figure out what the various ratios are in that transmission, if they are similar to those for the PA then it will probably work fine (as long as the condition is okay). If the ratios are significantly different than what originally came in the car there might be some drivability issues.

Looking at your photos, the location and shape of the gear select rods are totally different than used in the 1933/34 transmission. So definitely not for those later Plymouths.

Also looking at your photos, I think you have the original brake master cylinder. Seems like a lot have been replaced over the years with ones for later trucks but yours looks correct for the early 1930s era based on the vent tube assembly and cover.

I wonder if anyone would be interested in this early Chrysler transmission? I am going to look for a 31 PA transmission.

19 hours ago, 31Jalopy said:

I wonder if anyone would be interested in this early Chrysler transmission? I am going to look for a 31 PA transmission.

Looks like there might be a 31 PA transmission available on another thread on this forum:

• Like 1

31  and 32 are interchangeable.  I have a 32 in my PA. I'm thinking that the cross member is different in the Chrysler vs the Plymouth. Early 31 had spur or straight gears.  The 32 had helilcal (angled)gears.  I have 2  early 1931 transmissions with a chipped tooth on the cluster gear.  Been looking for years for the cluster gear but can't find one.   Don Feney who is on this forum may have a transmission .  I think this is him.  Don in central OH F5415F@aol.com 740-816-4284

• Like 1

A 1931 and 32 Plymouth trans look  almost the same and can be swapped.  However I would chose the 32 because of the spiral internal gears.  The transmission mounts are slightly  different and is how you can easily tell them apart.  The 31 has one bolt on each side for a total of two and the 32 has 2 bolts on each side for a total of 4.  The tail shafts are drilled accordingly,  Life is Good  , Think Spring

• Like 1

I would clean the passenger side of the casing on the transmission in question to see if it has white paint stating PA or PB, not sure if Chrysler or other model Plymouth's had the same painted model on the transmission as in these pictures. 1st picture is hard to see PB and second is easy to see PA. Billy

0119221435_HDR.jpg

1421.jpg

Edited by 1932 plymouth pb sedan
More info (see edit history)