Hard wiring a 1920 Motor Dictograph?

Michaewh

Hello,

Just ordered 2 replacement 1.5 volt R40 dry cell batteries to power the Motor Dictograph in my family's Cunningham Inside Drive Limousine.  The batteries are wired in series.

The vehicle is also outfitted with a 12 volt axillary system to power turn signals and removable fan (to circulate air in the cab), etc.  I was hoping to connect a step-down voltage regulator (12v>>3volt) to power the dictograph from there, but it didn't seem to work.  I will wait for the new batteries to confirm the dictograph still functions, but if any of you more versed in electrics could tell me whether trying to hard wire this is folly, I'd appreciate it.

Dictograph.jpg

BatteriesR40.jpeg

CallButtons.jpg

• Like 1

Not Folly, but an important question:

Is any wire of the battery connections connected to chassis? Check while pressing the buttons too. Use an Ohmmeter.

If no connection between any of the wires to chassis, even when pushing buttons or other operating procedures, then shop for DC to DC converter 12 volts to 3 volts and lots will pop up. Some adjustable, some fixed.

• Like 1

This DROK DC-to-DC adjustable converter may be just what you are looking for... 

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Adjustable-Electronic-Transformer-Stabilizer/dp/B00SY37S00#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

I'd be interested in seeing more pictures of this very cool Motor Dictograph...

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pfloro said:

This DROK DC-to-DC adjustable converter may be just what you are looking for... 

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Adjustable-Electronic-Transformer-Stabilizer/dp/B00SY37S00#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

I'd be interested in seeing more pictures of this very cool Motor Dictograph...

Paul

I have this one in hand, first attempt, I didn't get it working, but I'll have more time later this week to fiddle with it....

"KNACRO DC-DC 12V 6-22V to 3V 3A 9W Step-Down Power Supply Module"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8M8QR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first thing I would do now is wait for the batteries and try it then. If it works, measure the current draw when it is working. I assume from the name that is on the equipment it has an electric motor in it. If this is the case the current draw on start-up may easily exceed the capabilities of the buck converter you mention. The batteries would have a high surge capability, easily more than the converter. Another thing to think about is if there is a motor the motor may be gummed up or seized from age and lack of use. Just thinking....

• Like 1

I initially thought that this was a recording device but from what I just read, it appears to "simply" provide two way communication between the passenger and chauffeur.  Now that's quite classy...!   "Home James. And don't spare the horses...!"

This picture of the Motor Dictograph indicated that it was powered by 6 volts.  This makes sense for automobiles...  However, the company's description of the Motor Dictograph clearly states that it operates on two standard dry cells (ie: 3 volts)...  

Good reading about the Dictograph company:   http://www.telephonecollecting.org/Bobs phones/Pages/Dictograph/Dictograph.htm

Paul

downloadfile.png

Motor Dictograph 01.jpg

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)
  • Like 3

OK, clearly marked 6 volt and .2 amps. That is easily doable. Yes, Dictograph made intercoms in the early days. I am not sure this is actually made by the "Dictograph" company or if it is a play on wording between Telegraph and dictation. People are very clever when it comes to getting attention for products....

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...