"Pinky" Randall...Sad News! UPDATED!

Steve Moskowitz

One of the most unforgettable "characters" in our hobby was Pinky Randall.  Mr. Chevrolet to virtually everyone and a life long Chevy enthusiast, expert and restorer.  A Past President of AACA and someone that was beloved by everyone. Pinky was also a AACA Judge and National Awards judge and did those jobs with distinction.  We will miss his jokes, his passion for the hobby and AACA.  He passed away Sunday after a very long life. The family is still making arrangements as we speak.  I will add to this thread once their wishes are made known.  Very sad day indeed.  Worst part of this job is making these announcements.

Christler Funeral Home, Houghton Lake, MI

Sunday, January 16, 2022

1-4 pm and 6-8 pm with Masonic Service at 7:30 pm

Houghton Lake United Methodist Church

Houghton Lake , MI

Monday, January 17, 2022

10 am visitation

11 am service with Military Honors

• Thanks 5

Wonderful man with total enthusiasm that was infectious. You would always have a great day or AACA annual meeting when talking to Pinky . You knew you were going to smile and laugh when you saw him approach.  Very sad indeed to read this but an honor to have known him .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Wonderful man with total enthusiasm that was infectious. You would always have a great day or AACA annual meeting when talking to Pinky . You knew you were going to smile and laugh when you saw him approach.  Very sad indeed to read this but an honor to have known him .

So true, Walt.  Wonderful gent to say the least.

I used to kid him at national meets saying if anyone asks where is Pinky I would suggest we get 5 or so people in a group, stand in front of the host hotel and guaranteed he would quietly join us.

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

So sad.  My friend Pinky was our next door neighbor for many years at the Carlisle swap meet.  I slept in my van and every morning promptly at 7Am I could count on a Joyce's hand reaching out the side window of their motor home with a hot cup of coffee.  We spent a lot of time there swapping stories-and I have a ton of them.  I'll always treasure the times we had together on the field judging, or solving the world's problems there in the flea market.  

RIP my good friend-you will long be remembered as one of AACA's finest.

Terry

Terry with Joyce, Pinky and Sue, 2018 AACA HQ Natl Awards Meeting,.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Steve Moskowitz changed the title to "Pinky" Randall...Sad News! UPDATED!

When the Southwest Michigan region hosted their first and (so far) only meet it was announced that Pinky would be the head judge. Being relatively new to the hobby, the group and AACA, my response was "Pinky who?" By the time we wrapped up the meet I had absolutely no doubt of who he was and that we were among one of the greats in the hobby. Pinky will be sorely missed.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Pinky for many years, Got to know him when I was restoring my 1932 chevy . Him and Jack Thompson worked we me one that . I still have the 32 almost 50 years later . We always thalked about that when we would see each other ,tours or meets.  Will miss seeing him ,chevy world will not be the same .RIP   Pinky   Howard & Chris

Sad news indeed!

Most memorable moment?

I was working the membership tent in Hershey many years ago, when this older gentleman walked up to me wanting to renew his AACA Membership. I said, sure, can I see your old card so we can match up the name correctly. Of course he hands me his "lifetime membership'" hard card looking at me smiling. I tried to get some extra money out of him. Ha Ha. He was special.

RIP Pinky!

Wayne

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had to share this great photo of Pinky and Dick Taylor - two past AACA Presidents that I'll never forget. 

Terry

Dick Taylor and Pinky Randall.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sometime in the 1990's Pinky mentioned that he collected postal cancelations, guess his goal was to have one from every post office in the country. I thought it was an unusual thing to collect, but it couldn't take up much space, and never really thought much about it. Every passing Chevrolet will remind me of the good times with Pinky, so will the trip to the mail box. 

Pinky, a true gentleman, will be sorely missed !

Visiting their home following the Mackinaw City, Michigan Glidden Tour was an experience I'll always treasure - especially seeing the 1969 Corvair in the basement museum area.

Back on June 29th, 1994, during the week of the Four Cylinder VCCA Yellowstone Park tour, the day Dale and I, driving our '27 Chevy Capitol AA Roadster, celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary, we were sitting in Pinky & Joyce's motor home.

I mentioned that I was still looking for a 1934-1935 large series Buick convertible sedan.

In true fashion, Pinky stood up, placed his hands on his hips and said:
"Marty, don't you know a Buick is nothing but a Chevrolet with LOCK WASHERS?"

The entire group had a quick laugh, and I responded

"OK, so what is a Cadillac?"

Pinky's response - "STAINLESS LOCK WASHERS !"

Our hobby has lost an ambassador

• Like 5
  • Haha 1