Old Style Oil Impregnated Cardboard Firewall Padding

$um Fun

I made a firewall pad for my '36 Dodge using the painted cowlboard, a piece of 1/2 in Homosote and 2 layers of the "jute" padding. It came out almost exactly like the original. I got the rubber strip from a company called Rubber Sheet Warehouse on the internet. I repainted the cowlboard to match the original gray. I bought the board and jute from Restoration Specialties. I got a damaged sheet of homosote from my local lumber co. for next to nothing! The homosote replaced the pressed fibre matting very well.

DSC02397.JPG

DSC02398.JPG

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies, restoration supply wasn't any help.

That is a great job you did on your firewall padding.  Unfortunately mine firewall isn't flat and has about 1" tall bump 6[' x6" in the middle. I could possibly make it in twp pieces, but would need to see how I can hide the seam.

There is also a material called door panel board, which is a little thicker than the cowlboard and seems to have some treatment to make it water resistant. This material, along with the cowlboard, if one's careful, can be dampened and formed to a certain degree. There is also the option of layering a thinner type material to conform to a pattern. Imagination is the key! I might experiment on a scrap piece to see what happens.

• Like 1

Be advised that Restoration Supply and Restoration Specialties are 2 different companies. I did experiment quickly on those 2 products, but found that they would not be conducive to your application. Can you furnish a picture of your pad, that might give someone more ideas. There is the option of building the outer sheet from fiberglass strips and resin over a form, finishing it smooth and coating it with a wrinkle type finish prior to painting it. A bit of work but may be an option! I would make it oversized and then trim it to the proper contour. You might be able to make a box from plastic or wood, graft it into an opening in the cowlboard, then overcoat it to get the grained finish , then paint. No easy fix on this one!

• Like 1

I can't vouch for their product as I haven't purchased anything but if you look at their store, they do firewall pads for other makes, like Auburn and Dodge.

If you go into an individual  items description  does say they are made out of ABS plastic so maybe they are the fiberglass one you are speaking of.

Maybe they can help or others can weigh in on their services.

https://www.pontiacparts.net/about/

https://www.ebay.com/str/californiapontiacrestoration

Brad

bradsan, none of the fiberglass suppliers have been helpful, and one was even rude.

jpage, I am leaning towards fabrication one from aluminum and covering it and texturing it before painting. The other side would have the jute. Unfortunately there is no easy fix.

IMG_5128.jpg

8 hours ago, bradsan said:

I can't vouch for their product as I haven't purchased anything but if you look at their store, they do firewall pads for other makes, like Auburn and Dodge.

not the same at all.  fiberglass is glass fiber in a (usually) thermosetting epoxy.  ABS (acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene) is a thermoplastic, often used when you want to vacuum form a sheet.

I tossed around the aluminum route myself, but procuring a large piece of very thin aluminum may be difficult. Do you still have the old one? Does the old one angle out at the bottom to follow the contour? if you have the old one, it might help to see it's actual configuration. Usually, the pads are about an inch thick, so you might still need the homosote to act as a filler. Don't give up, we'll keep working on this until we find a solution!

Actually, that looks like a pretty nice repro, provided it fits correctly. I think the fiber mat, aside from some insulation, provided some strength to the cardboard outer covering. I would imagine, that if lining it with the homosote can't be done, gluing up about 4 layers of the 'jute' will give you about an inch of thickness, assuming that is how thick the original was. I can imagine that the fiberglass piece is not cheap.