Manufacturing rubber parts?

I've read from some of you that you have made certain rubber pieces that were hard to get. 

I've done some Google searches to see if their is a recipe but have not had any luck. 

I'm guessing there must be different densities for different applications as well. 

Any links or recipes would be a great start. Thank you in advance. 

Eventually I'll need almost everything. Its for my 34 Dictator. Right now I'm trying to set the groundwork for the future. Budget is tight but I'm full of willpower and determination to find a way within my means. I would likely start with the rear engine/transmission mounts. It's simple and the first rubber piece I need. 

If you need new rubber vulcanized to your old steel mounts, try https://then-now-auto.com.  They can take your old mounts and rebuild them.  Call them for info.  Buy the rest from Rex.  As with most parts for old cars, when someone offers them, don't wait and don't get cheap - grit your teeth, pay the price, and you'll have them before they disappear.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Albtrossca said:

Eventually I'll need almost everything. Its for my 34 Dictator. Right now I'm trying to set the groundwork for the future. Budget is tight but I'm full of willpower and determination to find a way within my means. I would likely start with the rear engine/transmission mounts. It's simple and the first rubber piece I need. 

Can you post a photo of the rear mount?  I have many mount molds that are not identified. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris piazza said:

FWI, I tore apart a 4 door Dictator a few years ago. I have a bunch of really poor quality parts if you need some.

Poor quality is better than none at all. I'll PM you and get some more info. If the dam border would open up it would help. I'm hoping to make it down to the National meet in Southbend. 

Rex:  How do the adhesion and damping properties of cast urethane compare to the vulcanized rubber parts?

When I had to make a rear transmission support to put overdrive into my M5 truck, i wound up using original-formula Pliobond cement to attach 1/2" thick rubber to a steel support.  I clamped it and let it sit for a week to be sure it was adhered.  More than 16 years later, it's still OK.  The original STudebaker parts were vulcanized.  Pliobond is/was rubber dissolved in a very stinky solvent, probably now outlawed by EPA and OSHA.  Interestingly, it was also sold by fishing supply companies to paint on knots in fly fishing lines to prevent them from coming loose.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gary_Ash said:

Rex:  How do the adhesion and damping properties of cast urethane compare to the vulcanized rubber parts?

When I had to make a rear transmission support to put overdrive into my M5 truck, i wound up using original-formula Pliobond cement to attach 1/2" thick rubber to a steel support.  I clamped it and let it sit for a week to be sure it was adhered.  More than 16 years later, it's still OK.  The original STudebaker parts were vulcanized.  Pliobond is/was rubber dissolved in a very stinky solvent, probably now outlawed by EPA and OSHA.  Interestingly, it was also sold by fishing supply companies to paint on knots in fly fishing lines to prevent them from coming loose.  

Interesting information. 

When I took the rear mount apart to blast amd paint, the rubber appeared to be more of a resin than rubber. I thought it was just because it was so dry and old.