My 1925 Locomobile Back in the Day

jrbartlett

Look what I found -- this is a photo of my 1925 Locomobile Sportif in 1964, following a restoration/fix-up in the 1950s. It was owned at the time in Abilene, Texas, by H.B. Carroll. The spotlight, mirror, windwings and step-plates are still on the car today. H.B. obtained the car by trading a 1914 Overland for it, supposedly at the 1951 State Fair of Texas in Dallas. Previous owner was Dave Whitehead of Dallas. That's as far as I can go back on its history. The car was a yellowish tan that might have been the original color, as when I saw it in 1963/1964 I remember the pinstripes were all polished through and the upholstery looked old. H.B. drove this car on the 1962 Glidden Tour, plus all over the western U.S. It is now light blue and cream, and I bought it from the Cussler estate last year. H.B. never trailered this car anywhere -- that's the way we did it back then. 

image.png.793c22dd3f362a61dd1a68805c1d91f8.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello James,

What a nice story and picture of your 1925 48!  Does this Locomobile ride on 21" tires?  How do you compare your older Sportif as compared to the 1925 now that you have enough miles to do a comparison.

Al

The car does ride on 21-inch wheels, Lester 700-21 tires. I'd like some bigger tires, as it looks to me like H.B. was running on some sort of taller truck tire. The '25, though still an archaic design for its era, offered a number of improvements over the '19. Four-wheel brakes, easier clutch, smoother gearshift operation, easier steering, easier exhaust cutout, full-pressure engine lubrication, 12-volt negative-ground electricals, water-heated intake manifold, and higher horsepower (103 vs. whatever the '19 had -- I've seen various numbers for the latter). I haven't yet determined the '25's differential gear ratio, whereas the '19 has a 3.2-to-1 ratio and with the 35x5 tires it will really roll. I don't know if the '25's engine was ever rebuilt, but it starts instantly, does not smoke, has 20-30 psi and is very quiet. The '19's was rebuilt in the early 1970s by Len Dryer (I may have his name misspelled), while the full restoration was done by Bill Oexley.

• Like 1

James, Do you think your 21" tire size is factory original?  I do assume so as the 21" Balloon tire was one of the first sizes to keep the ride height and tire OD close to the same as the equivalent high pressure types yet yield a much more comfortable ride for the passengers.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

This is an interesting chat started by James.  How many others reading here have historical photographs of their Locomobiles from earlier times?  Any known history makes for some very relevant information.

Al

Hello Al,

the original owner was M.E. Rionda president of Jack Frost sugar NY

Murchio Museum NY

Robert Coffin NJ

Albro Case unknown location

John Curtiss of Ct. he started restoration in 1970

this is the chain as given to me. Tim Hund

• Like 1