37 King pin advice

drdon

I had my front end guy tell me I have some king pin wear. So do I order a replacement kit or do I also need to replace the bushings?. How do you find out what is needed prior to disassembly or can you even? Is it even necessary when he describes wear as minimal?

That is the problem. This is a 6A frame under a Coupe Express body ( my choice). It wanders going straight. I have had steering gear totally rebuilt, all connections checked and rechecked, 3 alignment shops, and still wanders, you have to be attentive. My 37 coupe drives like a modern car- freeway speeds when necessary and fun. The CE not so much. Last shop does many old vehicles and has a reputation for doing good work and good diagnosis. He said the king pins were worn a little bit. I don’t know where to turn. 

Is that a planar suspension? There are a LOT of rubber bushings in those. I replaced all of them in my '35 Commander but it is still being restored so I don't know how it handles. Rex Miltenberger has most of those bushings from the Shrock brothers. I made a few myself before I found out that Rex had the molds.  Replacing the king pins is not that complicated, but it might not be the issue. Wish I could be more help.

• 4 weeks later...

Planer Front Wheel Suspension.... All models 1938

Looks to common to all models here is some good reading from the 1938 shop manual.

0HegEN0l.jpg?1

LoXXsLGl.jpg?1

TLXf2xVl.jpg?1

I would try and target the problem area and try and collect as many parts as possible before doing what you can with parts you can put together.