New Chrysler electric Airflow....

keiser31

10 hours ago, Fossil said:

Sure looks a lot like our Nautilus.

2021-lincoln-nautilus-reserve-iced-mocha-5.jpg

Chrysler Airflow EV profiles

or the Lexus, or the Kia, or the ........... 

Actually not a bad looking car but like all new cars way above my pay grade.

I am not trying to step on any toes here, but we all (and I am guilty as well) say how all new cars are boring econo boxes all painted white or silver with no individualism. 'They all look alike'.  

However, from my untrained eye most cars made from about 1928 - 1935 'all look alike', and most are painted a dark colour with no individualism.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve9 said:

Nice looking car. Now this development begs the question,will  Ford launch the all new Edsel? 

I think they tried that 60-some years ago, but the name is already there:

"EDSELECTRIC"

20s-30s cars, while similar, usually had some identifying detail that you could tell what make it was.

These homogenized crossovers don't have that. I consider myself a car guy (as I'm sure everyone here does) and unless I see the nameplate I can barely tell what make most post 2010 vehicles are, much less what year they are.

The carmakers will never get me to part with my money for something that looks like everything else on the road.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:39 PM, keiser31 said:

I guess nostalgia is not gone from Fiat/Chrysler....

new Chrysler Airflow.jpg

They finally figured out how to fix that coolant leak that everyone smells (EXCEPT THE SERVICE MANAGER) when they walk past a late model Chrysler Jeep Product. Build them electric! Geniuses! If there is no coolant there can't be a leak, right? 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

No one even knows what an Airflow is unless they are an old car enthusiast. So I wonder why they even used the name? It does not evoke fond memories in the minds of typical new car purchasers. Maybe it just has a nice sound? Sounds aerodynamic? But for those who know the original Airflow and appreciate it, the use of the name for this new creation is more like a desecration.

"Desecration is the act of depriving something of its sacred character, or the disrespectful, contemptuous, or destructive treatment of that which is held to be sacred ..."

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, John348 said:

They finally figured out how to fix that coolant leak that everyone smells (EXCEPT THE SERVICE MANAGER) when they walk past a late model Chrysler Jeep Product. Build them electric! Geniuses! If there is no coolant there can't be a leak, right? 

Most modern EVs use coolant or in some cases refrigerant for thermally managing the battery pack, motor(s), and other electronics.  Nissan Leaf is a major exception.  Their lack of good thermal management of their battery pack has cost them a lot in terms of pack degradation, high speed charging speeds, and so on.

Given the right design, I think resurrecting the Airflow name is a fun idea.  Chrysler could have a sorely needed winner here.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Buick is bring back the Electra name for their EV offering. 

electra-1601478625.jpg

Well, that makes more sense than a lot of names carmakers have dreamed up lately... Ford has recycled "Lightning" for their ET which also fits.

Just please stop making them all look alike. Worse than driving through a subdivision of spec houses all built by the same blueprint.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

If you have to ask…

It’s a prototype at this point that was displayed at the January 2022 Consumer Electronics Show.  Production is  about two years out which is not good timing compared to the rest of the market.

• Like 2

Ok, all these cast alloy wheels to me look like the round heads you have to replace every so often in an electric shaver that get dull from shaving your beard . The sphere shape of the wheel has a lot to do with the way a car looks, the flow of the lines that may or may not be stopped because of that round eyeball stating at you. Bring back fender skirts with a decorative wing attached at center . Big round button like hubcaps mounted to painted spoke wheels.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Ok, all these cast alloy wheels to me look like the round heads you have to replace every so often in an electric shaver that get dull from shaving your beard . The sphere shape of the wheel has a lot to do with the way a car looks, the flow of the lines that may or may not be stopped because of that round eyeball stating at you. Bring back fender skirts with a decorative wing attached at center . Big round button like hubcaps mounted to painted spoke wheels.

Walt, I am pretty sure it is a concept car not production vehicle yet. Fender skirts? really your lucky if you get a spare tire and a jack now, they have been replaced by run flat tires

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Well, that makes more sense than a lot of names carmakers have dreamed up lately... Ford has recycled "Lightning" for their ET which also fits.

Just please stop making them all look alike. Worse than driving through a subdivision of spec houses all built by the same blueprint.

The reason they look alike has much to do with lessening drag and it is a efficient design.  A jelly bean is more efficient than a barn door(Jeep). 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I think Glenn raised a great point, it is fantastic that the automakers respect their heritage and recycle names from the past.  The Buick Electra Concept did loose most of the styling cues that would identify it as a Buick. At least they retained the Tri-Shield emblem. Buick's and Cadillac's were always identifiable from particular styling cues, they always retained their own identity (even now) The Concept Electra does not put the name to good use. The names Lightening, and Airflow are very clever, I feel that the Manufacturer's just need to tie the past, present, and future together better with their marketing. Ironically, I remember reading that the traditional Buick customers were not receptive to the names Electra and LeSabre when they came out, I guess people being not receptive to change is not anything new.

Should be flattering, if not complementary. I lost track of all the guys over the years named Jesus, Moses, and Mohamad who I had met over the years and nobody seemed to take any offense to that. So why should anyone be in a tither naming a machine after another machine?  

On 1/9/2022 at 7:56 AM, avgwarhawk said:

Buick is bring back the Electra name for their EV offering.

Some say the Electra Lux will be the flagship model.

And the KW motor ratings will be in Watts. The ad agency thinks it will be a thousand times better.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

In my world the Electra Lux is a vacuum my mom used to clean the house.   

That’s excellent!  I used to race Swedish made Husqvarna motorcycles in the 1970s.  They were owned at that time by the parent company of Electrolux. Viking sewing machines was also in that group.  Riders of other brands said our Huskys sucked in reference to the vacuum cleaner tie in.

• Like 1

Electrolux is still big in the appliance industry. Sells many products in the USA, just under different names. 

When I see someone with a Husquvarna chain saw or weed eater, I ask them how well does it sew. Wife uses Bernina, the competitor for sewing.😉

• Haha 1

I am not a fan of an automobile manufacturer invoking a monikor from the past and not paying any homage at all to the original design.  The new “airflow” is similar to many other crossovers and doesn’t, in my opinion, contain any styling cues that invoke the original Airflow.

Meh.  Seriously… Meh.

Joe