Looking for a Picture of a 1931 Pontiac Hubcap Wire Wheel

3macboys

I've picked up a couple of what I believe to be 31 caps to put on my car.  It currently wears Chevrolet caps and at the very least these ones fit and are Pontiac.   If someone is able to confirm if the cap shown is correct and if possible post a picture showing the correct paint scheme would be greatly appreciated.   Not a lot of pictures online that I can find and there doesn't seem to be a lot of 31s around. 

Don

20220105_140152.jpg

20220105_140203.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

There is one near me, but I recently deleted the crummy photo I took with my flip phone since it's in a parking structure with poor lighting.  I just found the same hubcap here:

2834947-1931-pontiac-sedan-std.jpg

Thank you.  That would seem to confirm that I have the right caps and a good basis for the paint.  

The one near me has red paint on the hubcaps.  From the photos, it could be confused with orange. 

Here is one from a year I haven't identified.  I copied it last year from an Ebay listing.  It was too beat up for me to bid on, but the color appears to be the same as what yours should be.

By the way, my Grandfather had 2 Stars.  Unfortunately, I never asked about them (years or body styles), but I understand at least one was bought new.  How about a picture of it, please?  

image.png.1fe70df3f9cb88ecdc386bc4a37d80d6.png

3 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

The one near me has red paint on the hubcaps.  From the photos, it could be confused with orange. 

Here is one from a year I haven't identified.  I copied it last year from an Ebay listing.  It was too beat up for me to bid on, but the color appears to be the same as what yours should be.

By the way, my Grandfather had 2 Stars.  Unfortunately, I never asked about them (years or body styles), but I understand at least one was bought new.  How about a picture of it, please?  

image.png.1fe70df3f9cb88ecdc386bc4a37d80d6.png

Here is the Pontiac and the Star - it's registered as a 26 but I'm fairly certain from the body style that it is a 23.  They both came from the same owner who restored them both himself.  

DSC_0827.JPG

DSC_0828 (2).JPG

DSC_0829 (2).JPG

• Like 1

There are two part numbers for hubcaps for 1931 Pontiac with wire wheels.  The cap you show in your photo is from a wire wheel.  The parts book shows one hubcap until about mid year production and it is ‘31 only.  After mid year the hubcaps are the same for ‘31 - ‘33.  While I don’t have any examples of early ‘31 hubcaps the one you show looks to me to be ‘31-‘33 if it fits on your wheel.  I have attached a photo of a ‘32 6 cyl with wire wheels and a ‘30 with wood wheels.  The wood wheel ‘31 would be same hubcap as the ‘30 pictured.  Another note is on the ‘31-‘33 hubcap is that if the feathers stop at the ring around the Indian head they are reproduction.  Original Pontiac hubcaps have the feathers past the ring as pictured in the photo you have shown.  You can see the difference in the ‘32 pictured.  Passenger front is original, one on the side mount is reproduction.  Hopefully this is not too confusing.

2250E884-B5D7-44C9-87C2-CBF2A7AF5769.jpeg

Edited by 32Pontiac6 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 32Pontiac6 said:

There are two part numbers for hubcaps for 1931 Pontiac with wire wheels.  The cap you show in your photo is from a wire wheel.  The parts book shows one hubcap until about mid year production and it is ‘31 only.  After mid year the hubcaps are the same for ‘31 - ‘33.  While I don’t have any examples of early ‘31 hubcaps the one you show looks to me to be ‘31-‘33 if it fits on your wheel.  I have attached a photo of a ‘32 6 cyl with wire wheels and a ‘30 with wood wheels.  The wood wheel ‘31 would be same hubcap as the ‘30 pictured.  Another note is on the ‘31-‘33 hubcap is that if the feathers stop at the ring around the Indian head they are reproduction.  Original Pontiac hubcaps have the feathers past the ring as pictured in the photo you have shown.  You can see the difference in the ‘32 pictured.  Passenger front is original, one on the side mount is reproduction.  Hopefully this is not too confusing.

Not confusing in the least and helps me tremendously!  Thank you very much, now I just need to hunt down two more caps.

Don