Prewar Four Seat 200hp

supercargirl

Hi Everyone,

I have a client looking for an open prewar four seater near 200hp.  Originality not important but must be in driver condition as a minimum. He is located in the Netherlands and he is looking for a car that he can use with his family.  He has a Bentley and a Talbot Lago already and I thought it would be interesting to introduce a big old American car to him.

Any ideas?

Kelly

19 hours ago, supercargirl said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a client looking for an open prewar four seater near 200hp.  Originality not important but must be in driver condition as a minimum. He is located in the Netherlands and he is looking for a car that he can use with his family.  He has a Bentley and a Talbot Lago already and I thought it would be interesting to introduce a big old American car to him.

Any ideas?

Kelly

The ONLY one that comes to mind would be a Buick with the 320 CI engine. Highesr HP of any American car in 1941-1942.  Still shy of 200 a little.

Ben

Thanks Guys.  Good suggestions all.  This is what I wrote to my client last night:

I have been thinking about four seat prewar open cars with about 200hp.  Generally. as we both know, if there was a back seat in such a powerful car (presuming the car is built for racing with that much hp) it would only be big enough to fit your kids until they are maybe six years old.  There will just be enough leg room for them to kick the back of you and your wife's seats when they get tired, hungry or angry.  

They make the seats small for a reason.
Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)

On 1/6/2022 at 7:14 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

The ONLY one that comes to mind would be a Buick with the 320 CI engine. Highesr HP of any American car in 1941-1942.  Still shy of 200 a little.

Ben

Packard's 356cid engine from 1940-42 produced just as much horsepower as the Buick, and in a lighter car (body style for body style).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Packard's 356cid engine from 1940-42 produced just as much horsepower as the Buick, and in a lighter car (body style for body style).

Those are great driving cars, and excellent for touring. I’m wondering what the 200 hp requirement is all about? Other than a round number?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I did not know that, West!   Wonder which maker built the most .

Ben

True. Many more Buicks out there. However, if you're looking for exclusivity...

Also, I wonder what happens if one were to copy Buick and put dual carburetors on a 356 Packard. I believe the ride would be that much more spirited.

• Like 1