‘56 Century 2 dr ht on Bat

MrEarl

14 hours ago, BUICK RACER said:

Discouraging since they changed the carb, hardened the valve seats in the heads, totally unnecessary, and the radio doesn't work, well the clock, do they ever work? 

Learned to drive on a '56 Century 66R as well as work on it with the dad!

Yea the valve seats might come back to bite the new owner.  Pretty car. I'd risk it under $10k

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

That car is so under-priced compared to its spectacular cosmetic condition, that it leads me to believe the ad might be a scam.

It's an auction. That's only the current bid, not the asking price.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

Sold for $46,000 this afternoon.  A lot of spirited bidding in the final moments of the auction.  

Wow. That's good money for a hardtop.

I bet the 66c owners have dollar signs dancing in their heads...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

That’s way too high.  That is an outlier for sure. But, it sold (I guess).  Please don’t tell me you can’t restore one for that price.  

The car may be an outlier, but not the auction itself, given it has sold for $40k + twice in 2 years.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suchan said:

Wow. That's good money for a hardtop.

I bet the 66c owners have dollar signs dancing in their heads...

I know I have some dancing in my head, lol.  May be time to get the 55 out of winter storage and look into a BAT listing in the near future.........

• Like 1

Admittedly I did not go into the auction in great detail as some of you did.  I saw Mr. Earl's link and it looked quite nice but I am not a Bring a Trailer fan, as I can not stand their descriptions of the car's restoration and maintenance.  They seldom if ever forget to put "reportedly" or "may have" in front of critical elements of the descriptions as I suppose they feel they would get legally burned at some point.  

Why not just say an overriding comment like "these statements are provided by the seller and are not verified by BaT" or some such disclaimer.  OK, I am off my soapbox. 

I enjoy reading about decisions to purchase and I do appreciate actually knowing what a car sells for, so BaT has replaced eBay as a more or less auction experience.  eBay? 99% are not auctions anymore, most are simply sales from dealers "Buy It Now".  

Then I appreciate the buyer actually saying why it was purchased - as a gift to his father in law.  Sentimentality aside, the buyer was driven to purchase it based on emotion and apparently it was down to 2 bidders, as it often is at the end of real auctions, and emotions and "gotta have it" took over. 

So, while the car did sell twice in the past few months for $40,000, at least in this regard there was a fair amount of emotion driving the final price above $40,000. 

In looking at the photos, I would say it was over paid.  It's a very nice car, and you guys and gals are better experts on 50's Buick than I am, but would it earn 370 points out of 400?   I would want receipts, and then, as we often say "you can't restore one for (fill in the blank)   

On 1/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, NC-car-guy said:

Yea the valve seats might come back to bite the new owner.  Pretty car. I'd risk it under $10k

Why is that?  Hardened valve seats as far as I know, were installed in the post leaded gas era to discourage valve seat erosion ?  I must be missing something. 

9 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Admittedly I did not go into the auction in great detail as some of you did.  I saw Mr. Earl's link and it looked quite nice but I am not a Bring a Trailer fan, as I can not stand their descriptions of the car's restoration and maintenance.  They seldom if ever forget to put "reportedly" or "may have" in front of critical elements of the descriptions as I suppose they feel they would get legally burned at some point.  

Why not just say an overriding comment like "these statements are provided by the seller and are not verified by BaT" or some such disclaimer.  OK, I am off my soapbox. 

I enjoy reading about decisions to purchase and I do appreciate actually knowing what a car sells for, so BaT has replaced eBay as a more or less auction experience.  eBay? 99% are not auctions anymore, most are simply sales from dealers "Buy It Now".  

Then I appreciate the buyer actually saying why it was purchased - as a gift to his father in law.  Sentimentality aside, the buyer was driven to purchase it based on emotion and apparently it was down to 2 bidders, as it often is at the end of real auctions, and emotions and "gotta have it" took over. 

So, while the car did sell twice in the past few months for $40,000, at least in this regard there was a fair amount of emotion driving the final price above $40,000. 

In looking at the photos, I would say it was over paid.  It's a very nice car, and you guys and gals are better experts on 50's Buick than I am, but would it earn 370 points out of 400?   I would want receipts, and then, as we often say "you can't restore one for (fill in the blank)   

I think very few of us are worried about show points anymore. Our local Cars and Coffee out scales any car shows happening in the area.  And it is one of the few places I will routinely take my cars. Newer Generations are not as interested in cars much less in Marque specific clubs that worry about points. I agree the price on this went much higher than I would expect but then again a car is worth what somebody will pay for it at the time it is for sale. 

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Why is that?  Hardened valve seats as far as I know, were installed in the post leaded gas era to discourage valve seat erosion ?  I must be missing something. 

It has to do with the process to install said seats and how close they get to the water jacket in the head.