Classic Era Automobile Lamps

alsfarms

This thread has originated from a related subject in a Rolls Royce discussion.  In this thread let's discuss the various lamps that are used on the classic era automobiles and should include Marchal, Lucas, AGA, Wood, Gray & Davis and others.  Could those of you who have experience with any of these or other types, please help with information, history, evolution, application and pictures. 

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a piece of sales literature about the Model G AGA lamp.  Does anyone know if the "G" calls for the single mounting stud as shown in the picture?  If that is the case, what model AGA would be assigned to a lamp with fork mounts?

Al1528072066.png.c779682f3a96779916477f2429fc24cf.png

Here is a link to a picture of one of a pair of Aga fork mount drum headlamps I have.  This pair has a fork spacing of 12".  If anyone here can help me locate a pair of Bausch & Lomb fluted lenses, thanks in advance.  If not, I will end up having some plate glass cut, fluted and polished, creating new lenses.

Al

https://content.invisioncic.com/r277599/monthly_2022_01/5.jpg.c2e41b99dfccd672a2ecd69f7ea63b87.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

When speaking of Brass era lighting, there were plenty of beautiful headlamps available, each with its own appeal.  I am in agreement with your assessment, Rushmore headlamps and the square carbide generator are at the top of the pile for me.  I have two automobiles that use Rushmore lamps, a Locomobile, (good sized lamps) and an American-LaFrance, (huge sized lamps).  I just learned that the large drum headlamps used on many heavy American Automobiles are equipped with the Aga lamp.  The Aga is a derivative of Gray and Davis, of brass era fame.  Gray and Davis also produced some beautiful early fork mount nickel electric headlamps.  I have a pair of this style large Gray and Davis headlamp reserved for another American-LaFrance project.  The nickel era Aga is a huge commanding headlamp that makes a presence on any large automobile it is fitted to.  Here is a question, Who knows how late Gray and Davis was still producing electric headlamps before being overtaken by Aga?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
clarity (see edit history)