1950 DeSoto Suburban Custom

I would LOVE to buy this and fix it up BUT I don't have the room. "Thanks" a lot for putting the tease out there.........

I had a 49 DeSoto Suburban back in the 70's and they only made 129 of them. I have never seen another one.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I would LOVE to buy this and fix it up BUT I don't have the room. "Thanks" a lot for putting the tease out there.........

I had a 49 DeSoto Suburban back in the 70's and they only made 129 of them. I have never seen another one.

An odd-looking vehicle, but in a very cool kind of way - if the uncommon aspect appeals to you, this one should trip your trigger.

That's a cool looking DeSoto!  The rubber will meet the road when the engine is fired up and transmission functions.  It's sort of a gamble with how much money it will take to get it to a reliable driver.  At that point you would have a very cool car.

I am a devoted/committed(not in the good sense - translation - looney) MoPar guy and, like I said before, I would love to have this one but I don't have the room.

I like the oddball stuff and you cannot get any more oddball-ish than this.

AND I even have the vintage alligator luggage for the roof rack !!!!

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
added (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really think this same Desoto Suburban was in an Ebay ad mentioned on the Forums before in the past year or so. It was out on a farm in a barn covered with lots of dust & dirt and there was an old bearded guy standing behind it in one of the pictures. The ad said how they didn't want to disturb anything by cleaning it up and left it in its original "barn find" state. The ad also said there were a lot of inquiries from Europeans that wanted it transported to the LA airport or something like that. It didn't get any bids then but there's some action on it now. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, The 55er said:

The ad also said there were a lot of inquiries from Europeans that wanted it transported to the LA airport or something like that...but there's some action on it now. 

Looks like the Europeans didn't bid high enough! 😄 I saw this on eBay, and I actually think it's pretty cool. A unique concept that Desoto tried. I wouldn't really want a car like this, but I'm glad they still exist. Thanks for posting. I like seeing interesting cars on the not mine forum.

• Like 1

This long wheelbase version typifies a well developed workhorse of a staid design without the frills of a limo, but capable of livery, orlarge family service. Solid power plant, Fluid Drive, and lots of years of engineering development (maybe touching on the archaic?) , but  just not really exciting at a time when Olds and Caddy had their hot new OHV V-8

A (late 1940s?) DeSoto Suburban, I believe the series just prior to this iteration, was the family car driven by Howard Cunningham played by Tom Bosley, Ritchie's dad on the TV series "Happy Days"

Ron Howard played Ritchie, and Henry Winkler was "The Fonz" - Arthur Fonzarelli

Marion Ross was Marion Cunningham,

and additional cast members included Erin Moran, Anson Williams, Donny Most, Scott Baio, Pat Morita, Al Molinaro, and Lynda Goodfriend

53 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

This long wheelbase version typifies a well developed workhorse of a staid design without the frills of a limo, but capable of livery, orlarge family service. Solid power plant, Fluid Drive, and lots of years of engineering development (maybe touching on the archaic?) , but  just not really exciting at a time when Olds and Caddy had their hot new OHV V-8

A (late 1940s?) DeSoto Suburban, I believe the series just prior to this iteration, was the family car driven by Howard Cunningham played by Tom Bosley, Ritchie's dad on the TV series "Happy Days"

Ron Howard played Ritchie, and Henry Winkler was "The Fonz" - Arthur Fonzarelli

Marion Ross was Marion Cunningham,

and additional cast members included Erin Moran, Anson Williams, Donny Most, Scott Baio, Pat Morita, Al Molinaro, and Lynda Goodfriend

1946-1948 Suburban was on Happy Days

I had one of those, too. That's one I regret selling......

• Like 2

I remember riding in De Soto taxi cabs in the late '40's and early '50', in San Francisco. I rode in a fold-out jump seat while my parents sat in the sofa-sized seat behind me. Cable cars, street cars, and that big mileage meter were all fun for a kid to watch.

image.jpeg.56eaf90ea5a2ec785a824a262a2e6c11.jpeg

image.jpeg.8af4d678ab24d129dc003a51fc9c149d.jpeg