Maxwell 25 Headlight rim removal

CFRICK

Anyone know how to remove the headlight rims on a 1917 Maxwell 25?  I see no retaining screws or pins where one could rotate the rim to remove.  Just pops straight off?

Thanks,

cfrick

Charles, on my 1917 Maxwell each headlight has a push button at about the 5 o'clock position on the lower right side that needs to be pushed in at the same time that you rotate the rim, if memory serves me correctly, to the left about a 1/4 turn and the rim should rise off the headlight shell. My buttons no longer hold the rim on so I had to rotate the rim until it seats and I hide a screw on the bottom of the rim into the  shell  to keep it on.

Howard Dennis126822038_100_9854-Copy(2).JPG.c6dea74af4c8e8952e68a025dcf0776b.JPG

14 minutes ago, pre1939chrysler said:

Steve I'll lookn at one today if I have any. I thought the later ones just pulled off. 

Jay

pre1939chrysler, if you have any spare 1917 Maxwell headlights I have a friend looking for headlights for his car.

Howard Dennis

No buttons of any kind on mine or attachment screws either.  Thinking of making a wooden jig to compress the rim so I can turn it, too hard to push and turn.  I did get it to move a little though.  Most likely been on there since the 70s.

Cfrick

I got a suggestion in the Facebrook group to remove the lamp and place it face down on a blanket/pad.  That way pressure could be equally applied to the rim.  I put these on a sheet of rubber which protected the rim and allowed a good grip.  A little but of twisting and off they came.

cfrick