The first post of 2022.....

mobileparts

May everyone have a Happy New Year.....

May all car shows go on, go forward,  and be Great.....

May we all have unparalleled success --- financially,  spiritually, and in every way.....

May we all have much love, luck, happiness, and friendship......

And in many ways, a return to NORMAL,  not a " new normal " !!!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Ciara is heading your L.A. party on Ryan Seacrest's Welcome to 2022 -- and the music has been truly phenomenal tonight , everywhere....

After these brutal years of 2020 and 2021, maybe that is a sign that we have the power to make 2022 Magical for all of us....

Rock on, Zepher and all our AACA family , on the Left Coast !!!

• Like 1

What are you doing up so late Walt? You need to rest up for Hershey!!!

Have a great new year.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dave

The images are of the era were in the 1929 Chicago Salon souvenir program advertising Briggs and LeBaron coach work. I can do that kind of artwork - it is regular and opaque water color. That was what 90% of the artists doing renderings and illustrations in the pre WWII era used . They would brush it on or use an air brush for some fade away highlights. Roland Stickney did a lot of the art work for the deluxe sales catalogs for a number of manufacturers and custom body builders. Artists then were like automotive photographers of the same era, once a company was pleased with their efforts and production they had non stop commissions to do. I have an original Stickney water color used in the 1927 Lincoln custom portfolio of the Coaching Brougham ( car still exists in the Harrah collection looks like a 19th century coach) by Judkins. To study the artwork ( which is about 1 foot high by about 2 feet wide on illustration board) is amazing - even the pin stripe is there and Stickney had to use a 2 hair brush to get the detail in. Makes my eyes hurt just to think of that.

Sorry to run on ( as usual - information overload) in my response but it gives all of you an idea of the time and effort it took - no photo shop , button pressing then ( and if photos were made then it was on glass plate negatives that were 8 x 10 inches !).

Walt

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I have an original Stickney water color used in the 1927 Lincoln custom portfolio of the Coaching Brougham ( car still exists in the Harrah collection looks like a 19th century coach) by Judkins.

This one?

25_Lincoln_Judkins_1.jpg

Thank you Craig for starting this thread/post. 

I am about toast from doing research all day and looking at all the programs issued for the custom body salons held in Chicago, and NY. Still have San Francisco and Los Angeles to go. All for two stories to appear in Crankshaft magazine this year some time. Hard to focus on what I am looking for when I see just so much stuff that has not been seen nor written/or ever commented about but is just SO INTERESTING. So to end today as I started with a few period images - here is one for the people who enjoy  Knight engined cars ( no it isn't a Brunn bodied car A.J. but pretty cool anyway and there is one or two in Louisiana) and I will slither away  now until I can be here again and leave you with an image of some seat cushions.  Both images from the 1928 Chicago salon program. 🙄  More odd images to come for 2022 !!!!!!!!!

StearnsKnighttowncar1928.jpg

SNAKEskinupholstery1928.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

kgreen,

Thanks, Ken, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to you, too....

If you haven't  been there yet, scroll down to Automoble Humor --- about eight (8) categories down, and look at my thread, entitled,

" Just in time for Christmas.... "

25 cute, clean, quickies, for your consumption and  / or retelling !!!

Yours, Craig......

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:05 AM, Walt G said:

I can do that kind of artwork - it is regular and opaque water color. That was what 90% of the artists doing renderings and illustrations in the pre WWII era used

Now I'll have to dig out my original Rickenbacker sales brochure and take pics so I can post them.

The various models are all illustrated using the same watercolor technique.