1930s Miniature Steam Engine Project

A friend of mine asked me to see if I could get this toy Weeden 123 Steam engine running for him.  It belonged to his late father.  With some cleanup and minor adjustments I got it to run.  In the video you can see the steam piston start to leak steam.  The fiber gasket failed but has since been replaced.  It’s not automotive but I hope you enjoy seeing this 1930s toy run again.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 8

These Weeden steam engines show up on eBay occasionally as I found out while looking for parts for this one. The simplicity is amazing, the only repair I had was to the leaking steam piston gasket and to fabricate a drive belt between the flywheel and governor. The fuel is a bottle of gas line Heet alcohol.  I still can’t believe this was marketed as a kid’s toy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TerryB said:

These Weeden steam engines show up on eBay occasionally as I found out while looking for parts for this one. The simplicity is amazing, the only repair I had was to the leaking steam piston gasket and to fabricate a drive belt between the flywheel and governor. The fuel is a bottle of gas line Heet alcohol.  I still can’t believe this was marketed as a kid’s toy.

Terry , they are neat.  There’s a place in Indiana, one of my favorite antique stores that I’ve bought several things from. They had this one listed and by the time I saw it and called, it was gone. It I need to pick one of these up.59052561-FE72-4013-A60D-FC3A80162B57.jpeg.765791a3bafd3cf567847d07ef12ba85.jpeg

• Like 2