1972 GTO #'s Matching Real H.O. 4spd 1 Family Owned PHS Protect-O-Plate Windstik Buy It Now 56,750.00

We have talked about vinyl tops in other threads.  I really like the black on silver on this GTO.   The 65 watchers must agree also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275081817658

Matching numbers Ram Air (WM) 455 CI HO Engine. ONE OF ONLY 310 PRODUCED. Original Window Sticker, Protect-O-Plate and PHS included. ONE FAMILY OWNED. Original 36,777 mile Notarized odometer statement included. Miles now are 38,771. Cordova top, Correct exhaust manifolds, HD 4-speed manual transmission, Power brakes, Endura Front bumper, Front and rear stabilizer bars, Firm Shock absorbers, 8-track tape player, Tachometer and gauges, Splitter exhaust tips, Bucket seat with console. Rare factory paint (14) Revere Silver with Black vinyl interior. Rally II wheels with BFG T/A Radial tires. Documented with PHS paperwork, original glove box folio, copy of bill of sale showing original sale date 3/31/72 by Schwab Motor Sales in Warsaw NY, 2 sequential body build cards, and original dealer adv plate. Mostly unrestored with a small paint repair on quarter, engine pulled and painted as well as some underneath suspension detail and minor touch ups. By 1972, things had largely slowed in the muscle-car arena. Emissions and fuel-consumption concerns as well as safety regulations were creating a perfect storm to end the party. In 1971, the GTO received updated styling and was arguably the most aggressive-looking GTO ever built with big hood scoops, slightly widened fender flares and a revised nose and tail, to name a few things. It was also more modernly styled, leaving much of the 1960s design behind. This 1972 GTO is optioned with the Ram Air 455/300 HP V-8 engine. Various other performance parts were included with the big-block engine, namely heavy duty suspension components, making it a fabulously well-balanced car. At the end of 1972 production, only 310 GTO Hardtops were optioned with both the 455 HO and manual transmission. This factory Revere Silver on Black example presents in mostly unrestored fashion other than a small paint repair and engine repaint under the hood and underside. The interior, jambs, trunk and chassis are believed to be original. The Ram Air engine features correct exhaust manifolds and is linked to heavy-duty 4-speed manual transmission. It’s also equipped with power brakes, 8-track tape player, console, tachometer, gauge package, splitter exhaust tips, bucket seats. Listing originally for $4,798.60, it was pricey for the day. This GTO is documented with Pontiac Historical Society paperwork, along with the original Protect-O-Plate and Manifest Memo Copy, Original window sticker showing the original selling dealer Marselle Buick-Pontiac in Kewanee, Illinois, Owners manual, Consumer information booklet, Warranty Booklet, Emissions Control Booklet, General Information Manual, original Auto License Application receipt from the original owner. Original 36,777 mile Notarized odometer statement included. Miles now are 38,771. Looking very well kept and clean throughout but with some (to be expected) patina to the paint/trim etc. Still equipped with it's original trunk mat and jack/tools and spare wheel (no tire incl.) This 1972 GTO 455 HO represents the end of the muscle GTO era this example is a collectors treasure. (Validate entire description for accuracy before bidding/purchasing)

Image 1 - 1972 PONTIAC GTO #'s Matching Real H.O. 4spd 1 Family Owned PHS

$_57.JPG?set_id=2

Image 3 - 1972 PONTIAC GTO #'s Matching Real H.O. 4spd 1 Family Owned PHS

Image 7 - 1972 PONTIAC GTO #'s Matching Real H.O. 4spd 1 Family Owned PHS

• Like 3

Nice one for sure. I grew up with vinyl tops so it doesn’t look out of place to me.  Somebody checked all the boxes when they ordered this one.

The low mileage is great for the right buyer. It’s a detriment for me because I like to drive my stuff - a lot. 

I think this would be a perfect car to list on BaT, and would probably get more money there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Thats a great looking car! I love the top. I might just buy it to spite my wife, she despises silver/grey coloured cars!  OK, maybe not.

For a lot of us this car color is a good match for the color of our hair these days (assuming we still have hair😀).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

Auction ended, not sold.

So the seller has established that this car is nice but not worth $56,750.

On this day on eBay. I watch a lot of GTO’s and this one is nicer than 99% of them. I think it’s worth pretty close to 50 K given what I’ve seen.

I’ll bet if it was at Mecum in Kissimmee this January it would reach that price no problem. But obviously the frictional cost of the transaction are much higher.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I drove the same car in college for two years......paid 300 bucks for it. Didn’t have a title, so I drove it on our dealer plate. After a year, the oil pressure light would stay on from it being worn out. I covered the lamp, and changed the oil once a week, and it went another year before it tossed a rod one day without warning. I remember buying a new tail light lens for it at the dealer for 125 dollars............and not having the 125 I had to borrow it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I drove the same car in college for two years......paid 300 bucks for it. Didn’t have a title, so I drove it on our dealer plate. After a year, the oil pressure light would stay on from it being worn out. I covered the lamp, and changed the oil once a week, and it went another year before it tossed a rod one day without warning. I remember buying a new tail light lens for it at the dealer for 125 dollars............and not having the 125 I had to borrow it. 

You mean you drove an 72 Lemans with a 350 2 barrel automatic standard rear end.

You don't get the musclecar thing but there is a difference.

I saw the '72 GTO title and I thought, what are the chances this is an alsancle thread?? 😄 I was right!

These were cool cars. The last year for real GTO's by some people's standards, though no criticism of later goats intended...there were some neat versions of those, too. I saw a '69 GTO for sale online the other day, and it also had a vinyl top. I hadn't noticed vinyl tops on that year before, but I hadn't really been paying attention, either.

I've told this GTO story before, but my sister in law's elderly grandfather received a used '69 model as a gift back in the 1970's, and he filled the cavity behind the flexible front bumper with concrete so it would be "stronger". I would normally but a laughing emoji behind a story like that but his modification is just a little too disturbing.

• Haha 1

With it's rarity and condition I thought it would bring close to the $50K  as well.   I too think BaT would be a better venue for this one.

Looking at the close up pics on my big screen that the seller posted, I'm not convinced this is an original paint car.  The florescent lights show a mild but distinct bit of orange peel which is more akin to a respray and the door strikers have been painted over which would not have been done by GM originally.  Just an observation.

re1.jpg.b1382ba1b5f47a3951c82f7cc5ee4ae8.jpgre2.jpg.43a57b6c2ccdfa4d45c70856b8aba1d0.jpgre3.jpg.723f401d5f5017d4550c8f351e53360c.jpgre4.jpg.598f7b9d8116c93dc268e61c069b32d9.jpgre5.jpg.3a4d28e0605db80f8fae6cc709fd61e2.jpg

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

You mean you drove an 72 Lemans with a 350 2 barrel automatic standard rear end.

You don't get the musclecar thing but there is a difference.

Yup…….same thing. Mine was the Luxury model………🤔

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

The florescent lights show a mild but distinct bit of orange peel which is more akin to a respray and the door strikers have been painted over which would not have been done by GM originally.

Very astute observations, GregLaR!  I didn’t look that closely. Maybe that’s what held back the bidding?  

I would definitely want to see this in person to confirm before spending that kind of money on it.