Oil pump driveshaft

John McEwan

I am pretty sure you can drop the oil pump complete with drive shaft.

Disconnect the line from the sump to the pump. (Two bolts)

DF5B9217-F451-4342-8CBE-3EEAD6528FBD.jpeg.803f7efcca9e2ea48683e35f663e8e59.jpeg

Disconnect the output line to the engine oil supply.

Disconnect the pump from the sump. (Three bolts)

Lower the pump and drive shaft. 

66D7E5D9-A462-4471-8AC8-EB31D8F8DC07.jpeg.c3b3996f9d8486fd3fb8336c9e9dc698.jpeg

• Like 1

RE have one, I might, but may not be any better than your current one.

But first, what is wrong with the one you have? Does not sound, by the question, that you have looked at the current one installed. Are you not getting "any" oil pressure? Or?

For re-installation the shaft can be fitted to the pump and fed upwards by feel.  Mesh of the shaft gear with the crankshaft gear should direct it into the spigot bearing.  You can also recruit an assistant with a light to watch the shaft through the crank hole as you push it up.  A long screwdriver or similar may help to guide the shaft if it decides not to play the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0great1 said:

If anyone has a diagram of the silent chain assembly for a 1916/1917 dodge brothers touring car it would greatly help me if it was posted here.

Please start a new post with your question. What do you need to know? If you need a diagram/drawing of the chain its self, don't think I have seen one.  The repair manual shows the routing and information on how to install and remove, is that what you are looking for?

chain 2.jpg

chain.jpg

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 3:07 PM, TonyAus said:

For re-installation the shaft can be fitted to the pump and fed upwards by feel.  Mesh of the shaft gear with the crankshaft gear should direct it into the spigot bearing.  You can also recruit an assistant with a light to watch the shaft through the crank hole as you push it up.  A long screwdriver or similar may help to guide the shaft if it decides not to play the game. 

Apparently it was geared down so low it looked like it wasn’t moving, it actually does work right. Thanks.