Jump to content

For Sale: 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville - " # 589 of 975 produced" - "Best of the best, 1-Owner" - Salt Lake City, UT - Not Mine - 1/6 Deleted


Recommended Posts

For sale on Facebook: 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville 2-door Coupe in Salt Lake City, UT  -  $100,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

 

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/444740213894755/1959-Cadillac-Eldorado-Seville

 

Seller's Description:

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville 2-door Coupe

  • 1 owner
  • Driven 89,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Red
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

Best of the best the real deal 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville. Only 975 were ever produced #589. I have lots of 59s but owning an Eldorado never comes around. May take 1951/1956 two door Cadillac or 1959/64 two door Impala or 1960 Cadillac two door in trade. With lots of CASH FROM YOU.

 

image.png.9696695a0ce0b229b6cf9a40d46519d4.png

 

image.png.fe3392686711e2c79eae0810cf4c6f94.png

 

image.png.158b9618faa6d0a9440805978d838332.png

 

image.png.25fdc54c297124a905ad0cc0907d78a5.png

 

image.png.f03b967cba6c2d1563d3bdd24b9ab312.png

 

image.png.e25a0762eb395a3a230beec9172afc18.png

 

image.png.e674b1079bf0c394ebf94a1e586ed08e.png

 

image.png.0df98f294c6207aad01237e3b49e3b0e.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville - " # 589 of 975 produced" - "Best of the best, 1-Owner" - Salt Lake City, UT - Not Mine

J D Power/NADA says average retail is around $60k, high retail (for a #1 car, I presume) is just under $100k. Hagerty says $48k for condition #3. My opinion is that this Cad would be much better off WITHOUT those hideous white walls and what appear to be dummy spoke hubcaps. It also needs an interior and engine compartment detail. The whole thing looks a little tired to me, as well as being at least $50k too much.

Maybe I'm just being too critical...

 

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know that these are considered  "Iconic" but for me, the more I see them, the less I like them. Really these and the '58 models are the most tasteless Cadillacs of the 1950s.  Just my opinion of course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Rivguy said:

I know that these are considered  "Iconic" but for me, the more I see them, the less I like them. Really these and the '58 models are the most tasteless Cadillacs of the 1950s.  Just my opinion of course.

 

I read an article from a 1958 Motor Trend, where

readers wrote in and told why they didn't buy a

1958 car.  Many of them agreed with your conclusions:

The 1958 cars were bigger and thirstier, over-adorned,

with extreme styling and ever-bigger fins.  One wrote,

"Why should a car look like a plane any more than a

submarine or a steam locomotive?"  The designers heard

the objections.  It took a few years, but by 1961, the new

designs were a bit smaller and much cleaner looking.

 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

 

I read an article from a 1958 Motor Trend, where

readers wrote in and told why they didn't buy a

1958 car.  Many of them agreed with your conclusions:

The 1958 cars were bigger and thirstier, over-adorned,

with extreme styling and ever-bigger fins.  One wrote,

"Why should a car look like a plane any more than a

submarine or a steam locomotive?"  The designers heard

the objections.  It took a few years, but by 1961, the new

designs were a bit smaller and much cleaner looking.

 

I would take a ‘59 over any other Cadillac. There’s only 2 cars I lust for more than that. A real 427 Cobra & a Superbird.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have told this story before but will again.

I had an uncle in the 50s that was quite a flamboyant guy and a bit of a partier.

He had an early 50 Jaguar roadster that I always liked.

He traded that off for one of these Caddys.

It didn't fit in his garage as well as the Jag but if it touched the front wall he could close the door.

One night he was slithering around the back of the car to get to the kitchen door, but being a little tipsy he stumbled and fell across the tail lights tearing his shirt and skin then fracturing a couple of ribs.

He loved to tell that story.

 

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my humble opinion...the '59 Caddy certainly wasn't the prettiest car made by Detroit, but it was probably the most outrageous (especially these two door hardtops.) That's why it's iconoc for many collectors. It was made at a time when the American auto industry (and, maybe, America itself) thought it could literally do anything...and get away with it. That was deluded thinking, as others have said. I've said it before: Many of us who were alive at the time tend to forget (conveniently) just how ugly the late fifties Cadillacs were considered by the public ten years after they were made. Twenty years after they were made, they had gained nostalgia appeal and that appeal never really went away. I love fifties cars, and Cadillacs too, but I'm also glad I don't see them everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the seller had done a good detailing inside and out, he/she might've been able to convince some poor schmuck it was worth the asking, but just left it dirty instead.

Makes you wonder about the condition of things you can't see. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're cool, but these aren't six-figure cars. I sold this one last year for about 40% less than the ask on the subject car:

 

007.jpg  037.jpg  066.jpg

 

Agree that "best of the best" should really include "cleanest of the clean" too. Just some elbow grease would have added a lot of marketability to that car.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best of the best can be taken 2 ways.

First is this particular car is the best of the 1959 Eldorados currently for sale. Doubtful.

Second is the 1959 Eldorado (not this one) is the best of the best Cadillacs, any model. This would be a VERY opinionated statement. To some (me for instance) it's a true statement. Others, not.

BTW, that is a heck of a nice looking Eldorado Matt sold, and in the 60K range looks like a good buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

   There is no question that the price is too high and the car needs some work,  I have met the gentleman selling the car I am pretty sure he isn't concerned if it sells, the pic in front of his house is just a sample of his collection, the Wood Rose 59 has been on Ebay a couple of times the last run stopping just over 99k reserve not met, he is a very talented fabricator / builder, but has a regular office job,  the bright pink 59 has a twin turbo motor and is bagged with and amazing interior Dakota Digital gages etc it sold for $$$$$$  , he also has the Wood Rose car on air as well. He does understand the rarity of some models so he leaves them alone as far as modifying them, that is why the Seville isn't, he also has a 62 Eldorado that is stock as well. As far as the neighborhood, the housing market in Utah, (especially SLC and the surrounding suburbs), is a little nuts, 650k to 800k in this area. $200 to $300 per square foot. 😵

Edited by 41Fleetwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate your insight.  I usually run as fast as I can from sellers I see that say or imply something like they don't have to sell, just testing the waters, that sort of thing.   This car is way over priced but it is his car and will stay that way.  The issue I have is when sellers truly don't want to sell unless they make a boatload of cash.  There are a few stupid people out there, guys recently retired with 401k money to spend before they die.  

 

I am not a fan of the 59's.  They are iconic, I get that.  Just like the 57 Chevy, they are popular because they are popular.  But, I did look closely, I am NOT a 59 Eldorado or Eldorado era expert - so what is it that makes it an Eldorado?  The glob of chrome running the length?  The  2 x 4 motor?  

 

I don't see enough seperation - in 1959 - to justify paying an extra $$$ for a Seville.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I appreciate your insight.  I usually run as fast as I can from sellers I see that say or imply something like they don't have to sell, just testing the waters, that sort of thing.   This car is way over priced but it is his car and will stay that way.  The issue I have is when sellers truly don't want to sell unless they make a boatload of cash.  There are a few stupid people out there, guys recently retired with 401k money to spend before they die.  

 

I am not a fan of the 59's.  They are iconic, I get that.  Just like the 57 Chevy, they are popular because they are popular.  But, I did look closely, I am NOT a 59 Eldorado or Eldorado era expert - so what is it that makes it an Eldorado?  The glob of chrome running the length?  The  2 x 4 motor?  

 

I don't see enough seperation - in 1959 - to justify paying an extra $$$ for a Seville.  

The exterior trim along the side. The interior is a different pattern and usually full leather.   These are the two main differences, visually, as compared to the series 62 and Coupe Deville.  Plus 3 two barrel carburetors vs a four barrel carburetor on the lesser cars. 
 

Also, they made under 1000 compared to 20,000 series 62s and another 20,000 Coupe Devilles.  
 

My guess is a true #1 car is $150k. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 sevilles can and do trade for 6 figures if they are outstanding originals or perfect restorations , the subject car is neither and matts car while a nice driver had many incorrect features to it such as wrong engine color, incorrect plating  under the hood , wrong body color , incorrect interior trim etc which was reflected in its selling price .  But don’t believe for a minute that one of these will not bring 6 figures for the correct car . 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2022 at 3:04 PM, Cadillac Fan said:

The exterior trim along the side. The interior is a different pattern and usually full leather.   These are the two main differences, visually, as compared to the series 62 and Coupe Deville.  Plus 3 two barrel carburetors vs a four barrel carburetor on the lesser cars. 
 

Also, they made under 1000 compared to 20,000 series 62s and another 20,000 Coupe Devilles.  
 

My guess is a true #1 car is $150k. 

I was close.  Not enough to separate a CdV in my opinion.  Not like the 56-58 Seville’s which received the distinct rear treatment and usually a vinyl top.  
 

I am one of those guys that thinks the “regular “ Cadillacs had nice fins.  The 57 rear can’t fin was more refined than the Eldorado fin for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Seville - " # 589 of 975 produced" - "Best of the best, 1-Owner" - Salt Lake City, UT - Not Mine - 1/6 Deleted

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...