Seats and cover replacements/repairs

mensanguy

Here's how to remove/repair/renovate our TC seats

-Remove/lower the tops for accessibility

-Remove the bolts holding the seat to the body along with the electrical connectors

-Remove the whole seat assy from the car and place on a sturdy workbench.  Be amazed at what you find that was hidden under the seat!!

-Remove the power chassis from the seat assy.  This is a great time to clean all the 30 year accumulation of  gunk and hardened grease from the slides and screw assembly's with a parts washer or a can of degreaser.  Use care and a lot of rags.  Get back to the car, and plug in the electrical and 'exercise" the assembly. assuring that everything works as is should. If not, now is the time to repair/replace the motors, etc.

-Lubricate with a quality, stiff grease that wont attract or hold lint, dirt, etc.  I use "door-ease", but I am sure

members here can recommend something better.  Just make sure that everything works as it should.

Now, for the fun part--removing the covers. First- separate the seat tops from the bottoms, keeping note of where the attachment screws go. A pair of wire cutters, needle nose and small picks will allow you to easily remove the covers. Take your time, and if you get stuck, put it down and come back later. Most of the time, the bottom cover just peels off, if it don't-now is the time to go to an upholstery shop. They have all the sewing machines, tools and expertise to get it back in original shape. And most of the hard work has been done by you.

BONUS TIME!  if you've come this far, you need to look at the frame under the foam of the seat bottom, particularly on the left side of the seat. This is where the wire frame pushes thru the foam and wears thru the leather, and tends to poke into our bony asses. You've all seen it.  First, remove the foam layers.  if they are too far gone, now is the time for the upholstery shop to fabricate another, unless you like being poked. Most of the time, you can use contact cement to glue them back together where they have been "torn" by the action of the metal wire frame working up thru the seat. Let it set for a while so that it is good and sturdy. Next, get a piece of 3/8" hose, slit it, and cover that obtrusive wire. Then, go to a hardware store, and get a piece of 1/2" RIGID poly pipe foam insulation, and cut, tape, glue, etc over the rubber hose to give some bearing surface to the  whole thing. 

Now, assemble in reverse order, and be amazed at how much better the seat feels!!

Sorry about no pics, I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. 

Edited by mensanguy
spelng (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I have a question. I have a spare set of seats for my car. They are in great shape but the leather is kind of dry and stiff. Conditioners do not really work very well on the colored side. I am thinking about pulling the leather off (thank you for this post) and conditioning them from the inside so the conditioner should be absorbed into the leather far more effectively. Has anyone ever tried this or heard of anyone trying it? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have tried them all. Griot's, Lexol, Leather Honey, you name it. I apply them as instructed on the product, after cleaning of course. The seats still feel stiff and in some spots actually hard and brittle. This is an extra pair of seats that may have been out in the sun for years before I bought them, although they are not faded. 

What "I" do, this time of year, when it's nice and hot, is lather them up with leatherique, and put a plastic trash bag over them between treatments ( several applications over a few days in the heat with the windows rolled up. ) has worked well for me over the years.

Plus, you can drive the car as needed with the bags on them.

You might want to use pristeen clean on them first, to get out all the oils and dirt.  Sounds like they may be clogged up with the previous products you used. Remember, lots of rinses until a white towel comes up clean! I have had excellent results with leatherique. The seats may have backing and padding on them also, making direct contact with the actual leather covers and product difficult. 

Add elbow grease and the results will be worth the effort.

• Like 1