Want to buy 76-77 Buick Regal Coupe

Dynaflash8

• 2 weeks later...

Earl---As i was saying, the  77 cpe i owned was a 1 owner real nice original car, my wife and i needed  a good car  for our

first trip to CA 1991---only 76000 miles,   so a few tips i can offer  for memory is, make sure it is all stock  mechanically  as they have a few 

carburation  smog   hoses etc  to watch for for tuning---Mine was a CA car --so may be different  back east,?.also  for memory mine only had

a single barrel carb,  and was a little under powered,--infact  car felt like it was not  a 350 ci,   but i did not mind that as it waas mainly for my  wife

to drive, see i was used to driving more powerful Buicks, like i  purchased a 69 Electra convertible about 3 weeks after that.

The doors are very heavy and large ,fuel was not very good, about 15--17 miles to gal,  other wise a very nice car to drive, soft ride,

nice steering, that year they had  side  battery  5/16 cable connections,---ok--but not as good, the regal broke down ones , while my wife was driving

down town Sacramento,   was a faulty   module inside  distributor,--always carry a spare.

Hope this helps you,---good luck ---  with you purchase.----will try and see if i have a photo of mine--somewhere  regards.

P1100501.JPG

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

(1) Marketplace - 1977 Buick Century | Facebook

1st, I see very few Regals and Centurys from this era that the kids have not added stupid stuff to.  But it appears to come with the original Buick Rallye Wheels and likely the steering wheel is somewhere as well.  

May be an image of car and road

Seller's Description

1977 Buick Century · Coupe · Driven 57,000 miles 350 engine V8 New spark plugs, new valve cover gaskets, new front and rear shocks, new front end outer and inner tie rods, new tie rod sleeves and center link, new steering wheel (also have original steering wheel) Comes with both sets of wheels w/new tires. All glass is great condition.

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be an image of car
  • Like 1

Listed for sale on Facebook 5-1/2 months ago. Seems strange a "good" BUICK coupe priced at $8.800 miles would go unsold for that long a period....just saying. I'm surprised somebody hasn't purchased it as a used car for everyday use, given the escalation in prices of used vehicles over the past couple of years. John

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even know how to read FACEBOOK ads.  I don't use FACEBOOK for anything except "pre-war Buicks", "1939 Buick group", "abandoned in Virginia" and "I grew up in Arlington, VA".  I otherwise quit FACEBOOK a long time ago.  Lead me to the FACEBOOK cars for sale. 

On 1/18/2022 at 5:42 PM, Jolly_John said:

Listed for sale on Facebook 5-1/2 months ago. Seems strange a "good" BUICK coupe priced at $8.800 miles would go unsold for that long a period....just saying. I'm surprised somebody hasn't purchased it as a used car for everyday use, given the escalation in prices of used vehicles over the past couple of years. John

John

I have found Facebook to be an odd marketplace.  It is hard for me to search.  You can type in whatever you want but pretty soon it starts placing modern cars and everything in your search, as I scroll down. 

I am sure there are search tools these social media mavens know about but not me.  I would say this is not a car that people are looking for, except Earl perhaps.  Therefore, few people are doing Facebook marketplace searches for 1970's Regals and Century's and these cars are being caught up in other searches and the searcher, who may be looking for a 1970 Camaro or whatever, just scrolls right on past. 

Problem is - the "ads" are free.  CL is now $5 a month and so nobody wants to pay for an ad on CL, there has been a slow but steady shift to facebook marketplace while dealers have not backfilled CL and are happy to pay a small amount for all of the content they can stuff into an ad on CL.  

On 1/29/2022 at 6:21 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I don't even know how to read FACEBOOK ads.  I don't use FACEBOOK for anything except "pre-war Buicks", "1939 Buick group", "abandoned in Virginia" and "I grew up in Arlington, VA".  I otherwise quit FACEBOOK a long time ago.  Lead me to the FACEBOOK cars for sale. 

Earl - consider this post right here the ad.  If you want me to examine further, I can likely get the phone number.  I would be glad to go look at it for you.  But I believe this car is in Iowa, and you are in Florida.   I am always happy to help.  

PRICE has been reduced to $8,000.  It's not a popular color, like Red, Black or dark Blue.  I like it, looks great with the Buick Road Wheels and new tires.  You can tell him to keep his clown shoes and steering wheel.  

Seller's Description

1977 Buick Century · Coupe · Driven 57,000 miles 350 engine V8 New spark plugs, new valve cover gaskets, new front and rear shocks, new front end outer and inner tie rods, new tie rod sleeves and center link, new steering wheel (also have original steering wheel) Comes with both sets of wheels w/new tires. All glass is great condition

Note:   Facebook photos sometimes drop off for reasons unknown to me.  Size maybe? 

May be an image of car and road

I think this is a decent $5,500 car, because it would not be worth it to restore but I think a person might be able to find a nicer one out there for $10,000.   Still, when is the issue.  I see very few of these.  I would grab a nice one like this and enjoy it rather than look for a couple more years.  

My parents ordered a '76 Regal coupe with the 350-4 barrel.  It had almost every option except t-tops, sunroof, positraction and 8-track tape player.  I ended up with the car when it was 13 years old.  The THM-350 was a weak point compared to the bulletproof THM-400.  The cowl rusted severely on both sides, and so did the floorpan on the driver's side front.  Both doors rusted out along the inside seam at the bottom.  The passenger front fender rusted out where fenders usually rust out.  Also look for rust in the A-pillars, along the top of the roof above the doors and just below the landau top (if it has one) at the top of the quarter panels.  Also check the area where the weatherstrip mounts just behind the top of the door glass.  Find one with the rallye suspension.  It handles quite well for its era.  It also had automatic level control.  The car was quite reliable except for the transmission.  The seats (60-40) were quite comfortable.   I sold the car to a coworker after the floor went soft on it.  He had just bought a new foreign car and was embarrassed to be seen in it when most cars in the lot were GM.  

I still have a set of doors and a passenger front fender from southern California that I was going to swap out on my Regal, but once the floor went, it was time to sell the car.    

Edited by Jim Skelly
. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...