'34 Dietrich Individual Custom . . . . at Mecum?

1935Packard

What is this car doing at Mecum?  Seems like a weird place to sell a car like that. https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0122-499115/1934-packard-1108-twelve-dietrich-individual-custom-convertible-sedan/

Just googling around, looks like it sold for slightly over $1m in 2015 as part of the Andrews Collection sale, against an estimate of $1.2m to $1.6m.  

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ac15/the-andrews-collection/lots/r103-1934-packard-twelve-individual-custom-convertible-sedan-by-dietrich/180146

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 6:47 AM, alsancle said:

They have gone upscale with some of their classic car offerings. If you look back you’ll see they sold a few Duesenberg’s among other cars. So they do sprinkle in some high-end stuff that is not a muscle car.

Yes, but still questionable as to best bet for audience via high end CCCA cars 

15 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Yes, but still questionable as to best bet for audience via high end CCCA cars 

I would generally agree with you John,  but those cars are bringing the bidders,  they don't just happen to be sitting there with a paddle and a drink.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A considerable amount of wood was replaced in the car during restoration. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the reasoning, but apparently that is a huge factor in regard to desirability by the types of buyers paying seven figures.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, West Peterson said:

A considerable amount of wood was replaced in the car during restoration. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the reasoning, but apparently that is a huge factor in regard to desirability by the types of buyers paying seven figures.

With 12 known examples…….and a car with all new wood…….the sophisticated collectors who actually curate their collection will pass on such vehicles. It’s a well done car, as I have competed against it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

With 12 known examples…….and a car with all new wood…….the sophisticated collectors who actually curate their collection will pass on such vehicles. It’s a well done car, as I have competed against it. 

How can it have all new wood yet the "fenders have never been removed"?  For a car with an apparent complete restoration that seems nonsensical.

It seems that there are different levels of collecting even in the high end of the hobby!

History and value aside, it's a beautiful car...

• Like 1

I will leave it to the experts regarding value and the venue to sell it, but I keep staring at the full on side shots of the car.......  There are few cars more strikingly beautiful than this.  Probably a good thing I don't play at this level, I'd likely go out and check on it in my garage before work......and never get around to leaving to head to the office.  

7 hours ago, Milburn Drysdale said:

Can you please explain the difference between the first two?

32-34  Packard had two different catalog custom lines.   Lebaron with a speedster body style, a dual cowl phaeton body style and a 2 door fastback.    Dietrich with conv coupe, fixed coupe, victoria, convertible sedan.   

The Lebaron's are distinguishable by there pontoon fenders.  

1933 Packard Twelve | Review | SuperCars.net

1933 Packard Twelve Model 1006 | Review | SuperCars.net

• Like 1