Value of this 1970 Cutlass?

NeverEnough

14 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Ive got a 66 chevelle convertible with an I-6. They made about twice as many SS v8 convertibles. I will most likely restore it to factory spec. Def will be unusual.

I would not have appreciated that car when I was in high school. But I do now. Leaving it alone in stock is cool, there are plenty of SS cars around.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Ive got a 66 chevelle convertible with an I-6. They made about twice as many SS v8 convertibles. I will most likely restore it to factory spec. Def will be unusual.

Kerry, does that I-6 make your Chevelle a lower case “ss” ? 
dave s 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alsancle said:

there are plenty of SS cars around.

More now than when they were new.

Running joke around here was there were more 1967 Z/28s in this town than the factory produced.

Probably more 6-cylinder Chevelles built than the other GM A-bodies. I would probably not have gone for a six-equipped (or four-door, which I have) car 30 years ago but I would be proud to own one now, especially an unmolested one.  

But we all know that anymore that's kind of a unicorn.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Kerry, does that I-6 make your Chevelle a lower case “ss” ? 
dave s 

In 1966 many of the ss Chevelle cars were built with the inline 6, from the factory. From 64 thru at least 72 SS models came with a variety of engine choices, except for 1970. The SS 396 or 454 were the only ones offered. I have a 1970 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe that was ordered with all the SS equipment such as buckets, console, disc front brakes, dual exhaust, F40 suspension, Rallye wheels with a 350/300 h.p. engine. So no SS designation, to get around rising insurance premiums on "muscle car" models. It was ordered thru a local Chevrolet performance dealer by a smart salesman and buyer.

I bought my 72 Cutlass "S" in 1994 at Carlisle from a dealer in New Jersey! It looked clean, had only 34K on the clock,and was priced kind of high at 10 grand. Here's where I got lucky! After I got it home and took it to a local car show, the guy that restored it comes over! Turns out, he lived about 15 miles away from me, and verified that it was an original, low mileage car to start with. All the documentation that came with the car was real, including the protecto plate and owners manual. No accidents, no rust, no nothing! I had indeed gotten the real thing! I got so lucky with that one, that I'm afraid to try again! I'm keeping it!

DSC04775.JPG

• Like 2

I ordered a brand new Cutlass S in late 1968.  If I’d known a six was available would probably have ordered it that way, the option was well disguised on the order sheet I guess…. Did order three on tree and 2.93 rear end for good gas mileage!

I’d like to find a nice I6 1969 Cutlass…

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I ordered a brand new Cutlass S in late 1968.  If I’d known a six was available would probably have ordered it that way, the option was well disguised on the order sheet I guess…. Did order three on tree and 2.93 rear end for good gas mileage!

I’d like to find a nice I6 1969 Cutlass…

A friend of mine recently bought a rust-free 1969 F85 Sport Coupe with I6 as the first car for his teenage son. We installed an aftermarket 4bbl, but the I6 remains. It's kind of perversely cool.

The I6 was mentioned right in the dealership brochure for the Cutlass S, and the RPO M13 column-shifted three speed manual was the base equipment trans in every Cutlass, including the Supreme that year.

• Like 1

Back around 1980 I was looking for a car and I found a 1968 Cutlass S convertible in the classifieds. It was a 6 with a manual transmission. I knew it was a rare car in that combination. I spoke with the seller on the phone and, from what I remember, was told it had a new interior and paint job and maybe a new top. I think he was asking around $3000 which I thought might be reasonable for such a rare car. I went to see it with dad and when we got there, right away we could see it had extensive rust damage that poorly repaired. It could have been a very attractive car if it wasn't for the rust. It was painted silver and had a nice black interior. It was such a big disappointment because of the rust. I lived in the LA area at the time and I didn't expect to see such a rusty car there. I think it might have been an east coast car, possibly from New York which was wasn't disclosed (as well as the rust) on the phone.

13 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

A friend of mine recently bought a rust-free 1969 F85 Sport Coupe with I6 as the first car for his teenage son. We installed an aftermarket 4bbl, but the I6 remains. It's kind of perversely cool.

The I6 was mentioned right in the dealership brochure for the Cutlass S, and the RPO M13 column-shifted three speed manual was the base equipment trans in every Cutlass, including the Supreme that year.

Interesting, as I totally missed it.  For some reason, even in 1969, I was obsessed with fuel usage and mpg.  I remember, after ordering the car, someone from the factory actually called the dealership and asked “do you really have a buyer for this car? “, since it was such an odd combination.  Three on tree standard trans, 2.93 rear end, radio delete (I wanted to install my own stereo system).  I did get over 20 mpg, except when towing an antique car on my open trailer (yes, I did and it did, though it was rough on the clutch on an incline start!).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

Interesting, as I totally missed it.  For some reason, even in 1969, I was obsessed with fuel usage and mpg.  I remember, after ordering the car, someone from the factory actually called the dealership and asked “do you really have a buyer for this car? “, since it was such an odd combination.  Three on tree standard trans, 2.93 rear end, radio delete (I wanted to install my own stereo system).  I did get over 20 mpg, except when towing an antique car on my open trailer (yes, I did and it did, though it was rough on the clutch on an incline start!).

Annual production for the I6 cars was in the several hundred annually for each body style in the Cutlass line. The numbers were a little higher for the F85 than Cutlass S as you might imagine. There were 2899 six cylinder F85s built in the 1969 model year (all of them Sport Coupes) vs 1838 total for all Cutlass and Cutlass S body styles. That's 35% of all F85s vs 1.5% of all Cutlass and Cutlass S models built.

My cousin had a 66 or 67 4 door with a six,it quit running and he thought he blew it up and when I came and looked at it I pulled the distributor and it had froze up and broke the gear.  He put another distributor in it and reinstalled the engine and drove it for a few more years,a friend had a 65 Chevelle with a six that done the same thing a few weeks before or I would not have known that was possible.