One of Two

MRJBUICK

Did anyone happen to see that earlier this week one of the two 62 limo's sold on Bring A Trailer.

Actually for what it is and the rarity I thought a decent price. You do need the room though.

Not sure if it was good for me or bad for me I had not checked that site in a while. Lol

I wonder if it was a BCA member or did it go to the Professional vehicle group?

Screenshot_20211214-170457_Chrome.jpg

What I was thinking is that the Cadillacs were factory made, rather than conversions.  So the rear seat floorpan area could be had, to weld-in rather than fabricate, which would have saved time and possibly increased quality a bit.  Providing other sheet metal items could be acquired to do the deal.  Which would leave the outer sheet metal items to be fabricatred from Buick items.  The Cadillac limo was on a wheelbase of about 149", which is close to 2' longer than the GM C-car wheelbase, as I recall.  Rear-facing jump seats were used, IIRC.   I believe that Flxible had full capabilities to build them as they desired to build them.

Happy Holidays,

NTX5467

• Like 1

NTX I totally understand your idea on the parts not sure how flxible does their work also would be curious to know if the 62 Caddy limo was on an X chassis like the Buick was. I know the Caddy limos were usually 1 to 2 model/body years behind the regular models.

Marty

I found a picture this afternoon, via Google, of an alleged '62 Cadillac LImo frame.  X-frame for sure.  If they bought anything, it would have been body sheet metal rather than frames, I suspect.  Although they would have had to lengthen the Buick frame a bit.

Cadillac was building an assy line built Limo model, for sale as a regular model, in 1962.  I'm aware of Flxible's long history of building extended wheelbase professional cars for many years, which HAD to have bullet-proof body reliability to do what they did.  In this case, just speculating that they might have bought the OEM Cadillac limo floorpan sections less expensively than to fabricate their own, provided that the result was up to Flxible's standards when completed.  Plus that possibly someone with intimate knowledge of how they might have done the Buicks might also reply.

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467  

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

When I was in high school, circa 1966, there was a high end used car dealer in the area that had an identical 1962 Electra limousine for sale. I remember stopping to look at it because it was so unusual. This was in the Southern New Jersey area near Philadelphia. I wonder what the chances are that this is the same car? It looks like the years have been kind to it.

I had my garage built in 1988, before digital cameras became common so I don't have many pictures. But shortly after occupying it I had a 1939 Buick Series 90 Limited and a 1939 Cadillac Model 75 in there side by side. My garage is 26' X 40". I lost all interest in limos once they were gone, they just hogged up too much space. I have had a 4" stretch but that's my limit after the experience.

On 12/23/2021 at 1:04 PM, 60FlatTop said:

This  Le Sabre belonged to Wray Kniffin, Finger Lakes Chapter BCA. It had belonged to some New York State official. He sold it about 15 years ago, probably still out there somewhere.

a0004.JPG.3440ab3df08841b3d8b83aceacd8585c.JPG

I have seen this one in the distant past and actually rode to diner in it from a Buick show.  I always found it interesting they used a LeSabre and not an  Electra