1933 Pontiac vin tag

1958 Olds

The serial is probably an aluminum tag on top of the frame up at the left front somewhere. On my 1936 its right by the steering box. The car might be titled to that, or it might be titled to the engine number. I suspect you will find the engine number at the left front of the block, just below the head. I'm not sure that holds for 1933, but it would be a good place to look.

There should be an aluminum fisher body tag on the firewall that might tell you some things about the paint, upholstery and options. It may have a body number, but that is not vehicle ID.

I have 2 '33 Pontiacs.

On both, the stamped, aluminum vehicle ID tag is riveted to outer surface of the left frame rail, above the rear end of the front spring.

The plate is embossed (raised letters & numbers)

In addition, that same number is stamped into the top surface of that frame rail. On my cars, that stamped number is very faint.

2047622298_VINtagonleftframerail.jpg.8be1c99d3e3b1455cdd8371ebbd07c98.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1958 Olds said:

Thank you 

Glad to help.

By the way, if you're looking for the stamped numbers on the top of the frame rail, they should be located approximately over the front axle location.

Joe

• Like 2

Thank you Joe    I am looking to buy this car but they can not find a Vin plate anywhere. Has a mustang 2 cross member in it so someone may have removed the tag. We are really looking for a 57 -58 Buick or Oldsmobile Wagon Love yous by the way  Tom 

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a similar process when I moved to Asheville, NC. My Buick had a serial number located on the frame rail, but that number should have matched the engine number which was used as the vin on my title. This totally confused the people at the DMV. The engine in my car has been changed since it was manufactured. At first they stated that I might have to bond the car for a few years to make certain the numbers were clear. It took six months to straighten out. Some states are easier than others. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:12 AM, 1958 Olds said:

Thank you Joe    I am looking to buy this car but they can not find a Vin plate anywhere. Has a mustang 2 cross member in it so someone may have removed the tag. We are really looking for a 57 -58 Buick or Oldsmobile Wagon Love yous by the way  Tom 

Yes, they might have removed that part of the frame - or welded something over it - when they installed the Mustang 2 suspension. 

This picture shows the serial number stamped into the top of the left frame rail on my coupe. It is faint, but legible. It is between the center and rear cross member rivets. Are those rivets - or the holes - gone?

Joe16415076718381327058166.jpg.da9d9b59e3202a25a19b49f01efcba28.jpg

• Like 1