55 Mercury Monterey Fuel Gauge Wiring

Looking for a wiring diagram for a 55 Merc. Monterey fuel gauge, tank to gauge.
Also, this car has been converted to 12 volts so, will gauge need a voltage reducer?
This is not my car, I did not do the conversion, I am just replacing the tank and sender, and trying to
make the fuel gauge work.  I am not familiar with 50's Merc./Ford systems but, can figure it out with the right info.
Also, is there any kind of sock/filter/screen on the pick up tube inside the tank?  

Edited by Chuck Pierpont (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I don't have a wiring diagram. There should be a yellow wire from the gauge to the sending unit and the sending unit is grounded through the tank. The gauge has 2 wires, one with voltage and the other goes to the sender.

You can use an ohm meter to check the sending unit. Connect one lead to the terminal on the top of the unit and the other to the case. Meter should be on x1 scale. Meter should read less than 10 ohms throughout the arm movement range.

When converting to 12 volts a voltage reducer is needed for the gauges. I cannot give you a definite answer on the sock, but I don't think that there was one in 55.