No private car ownership?

Brass is Best

3 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

UTOPIA anyone?

Ben

UTOPIA never worked for anyone but Todd Rundgren.

Someday these utopians will learn that what works in densely populated urban areas doesn't work from diddly for those of us who live, by choice and purpose, away from cities.

Want of a nail indeed.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Willy said:

In 29 years, I'll be 109, probably won't know what a car is, and probably won't care. But, I worry for generations below us- our legacies will be lost, our histories will be lost - will be a whole new world. 

Yep, and folks said that when horses took over from the oxen.

Ben

• 11 months later...

If for anything, what we have seen over the last few years, approach every idea floated with a little concern.  That old idea of they'll never do that here or that will never happen doesn't hold up well anymore.  If you were to go back 5 or 10 years and look at everything today and what has happend using the mind of 2017 or 2012 many of those, that will never happen,  have actually happened. 

• Like 3

Larry,I just finished reading this book a couple of days ago.I don't normally read fiction,but was told I should read it by several friends and I'm glad I did. The things Orwell wrote about are eerily coming to pass in our present day. If this book doesn't scare you and wake you up about what the future may be like,you don't have a soul.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Andy J said:

Larry,I just finished reading this book a couple of days ago.I don't normally read fiction,but was told I should read it by several friends and I'm glad I did. The things Orwell wrote about are eerily coming to pass in our present day. If this book doesn't scare you and wake you up about what the future may be like,you don't have a soul.

And you are comparing the book to the things that you know.  Think about all of the things that the governments are doing that we do not know about.  Think about your cell phone.  Knows where you are every second, your contacts, your computer information is being captured and probably every key stroke, your new cars track everything you do, where you go, how fast you drive, etc... and the list goes on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 11/30/2022 at 2:12 PM, Andy J said:

I don't normally read fiction,

My wife, the librarian, has been telling telling me I don't read anything but non-fiction. I tried some fiction for the novelty.

She saw no humor in that comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

WEF just finished up in Davos. Here is one thing they agreed on. Also, they've all realized that there are not enough precious metals for everyone to have an electric car. Also when the term "for the greater good" is used beware. We know what that leads to. 

Klaus Schwab’s World Economic Forum (WEF) is calling for a ban on private car ownership, arguing that it is “wasteful” for the public to own their own vehicles. The WEF is advocating for the abolition of private vehicle ownership for the planet’s greater good.
What is the World Economic Forum's plan to reduce private vehicle ownership?
The World Economic Forum is looking to reduce global reliance on critical metals as nations look to make the transition to renewable energy supplies, and one proposal is reducing ownership of private vehicles.
Should we stop 'wasteful' private car ownership?
The World Economic Forum (WEF) doesn’t think so. It has published a paper that calls for an end to “wasteful” private car ownership in favor of communal sharing to lessen global demands for precious metals and fossil fuels. The unelected elites in Geneva, Switzerland, argue too many people own private vehicles for the planet’s good.
Do too many people own private cars for the planet's good?
The unelected elites in Geneva, Switzerland, argue too many people own private vehicles for the planet’s good. Most are barely driven and a universal model that will take consumers “from owning to using” their cars is the way forward. “The average car or van in England is driven just 4% of the time,” the WEF paper sets out.
Will the government force people out of private cars?
The government plans to force people “out of private cars because they are the biggest offenders for emissions” Washington, New York and California (surprise, surprise) have passed measures to ban private ownership of vehicles.
  • Like 3

Yeah, like that's gonna happen. 20+ of the largest corporations in the world, the single largest group of employers, not to mention the entire support structure dedicated to the automobile, they're all going to go away quietly?

Pffft. This is pie-in-the-sky fearmongering, plain and simple.

• Like 2

Matt, fear mongering is different from a movement.  All movements start small.   Complacency is a great tool for those whose life goal is to work their will over others. 

I can see this in 10 years, or even 5 go from crazy concept to controversial proposal to a platform plank.  Do you really believe no one in stateside politics would embrace this?  

Being aware at this stage seems prudent to me.  And working with the club to see what our position will be should this idea be advanced here.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Yeah, like that's gonna happen. 20+ of the largest corporations in the world, the single largest group of employers, not to mention the entire support structure dedicated to the automobile, they're all going to go away quietly?

Pffft. This is pie-in-the-sky fearmongering, plain and simple.

Not right away, but all the little kids' hero is Greta especially when she goes all emotional. Ask your grandkids, or in my case the great grandkids. Meanwhile our daughter in California is asking us what to do with her relatively new gas stove she has and was going to keep and use on her remodel and now can't use. Oh well as they used to say in prisoner of war camps, One drip at a time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Pfeil said:

they've all realized that there are not enough precious metals for everyone to have an electric car

Which is what I said from day one,  but am silenced whenever I point out the practicality of things I see proposed.  I wish someone with a 1/4 brain was in charge of all this stuff,  that understood whole package and dynamics and would be forthright from the beginning.  Before they even suggest stuff,  someone should roughly run the numbers and see what is and isn't practical.  

Hey if we ban this,  is there enough of that to cover.  Look at gas stoves and appliances.  Is there enough grid capacity and energy production to even make this work?  What happens when the power goes out,  how many people will be effected during a blizzard.  Seems someone has a best interest in mind,  but I'm not really sure it's ours,  or even our children's. 

Yes I'm in NY by the way where they were talking about 2025 as no new gas hookups.  So this directly concerns me and is car related as many garages use gas for heat. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 5

In my opinion, this is not a question of climate change, but an opportunity to create "prison cities" to be governed by the whims of the elitists. The same ideas that our fathers and grandfathers fought against many years ago, just in a different package! It's already happening abroad and in Canada!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It's being wrapped up in the save the children package as usual though. Same with the gas. Wasn't it Asthma they were citing for needing to get rid of it?  Well that should be a choice then.  If you have a kid that gets child hood Asthma,  then you have the choice to not use gas.  Or if you are afraid it might cause it and want to prevent the kid from exposure,  again you have the choice.  Though everything is suspect as many kids when I was growing up in Rural upstate NY used wood to heat and propane to cook,  but I never recall a single kid that had Asthma,  though we were also outside alot of the time playing,  so our bodies developed robust immunity.  That was the beauty of the original blueprint of this country was we had choices and didn't have to live by the Decree of the king, which we had no say in.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joe_padavano said:

How about starting with banning private jet ownership first? 🙄

Sure they will have no problem banning YOUR private jet.  Rules for ye not the or something like that. 

Kind of like them using their private jets to attend the climate summit then using their helicopters to finish the journey from the airport.   Let them eat cake comes to mind and that didn't work out so well for her.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Though everything is suspect as many kids when I was growing up in Rural upstate NY used wood to heat and propane to cook,  but I never recall a single kid that had Asthma,  though we were also outside a lot of the time playing,  so our bodies developed robust immunity.  That was the beauty of the original blueprint of this country was we had choices and didn't have to live by the Decree of the king, which we had no say in.  

Playing outside years ago I also believe helped developed a lot of immunity to what is now a rash of allergies, asthma, and other illnesses that were rarely heard of before.  Also peanut butter allergies comes to mind when one student has the peanut allergy and every student in the school no longer can have a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for lunch hundreds of individuals if not thousands are affected. 

Contributing to this allergy issues from what I have read is that our houses are considered "super clean" compared to years past.  That does not mean they were dirty, but all summer long windows were open because no a/c, not sealed as tight as today, etc..  Added that kids do not play outside extensively like we used to results in what we have today.  Just IMO, but there appears to be a lot of data to support that position.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

How about starting with banning private jet ownership first? 🙄

2379.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

You can't ban the puppeteers. Google the list of attendees from the U.S. for 2023.

Wait until the U.S. dollar is no longer the fall back currency.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

There's a better and more permanent solution to unelected bureaucrats than banning.

I know, just ask Louis the 16th. BTW, what happened to him was pure democracy. Pure democracy in its very rudimentary form is mob rule.  And that is why in principle we have a constitutional republic. A representative government that is also governed by law. Unfortunately, we have strayed so much from our principals and responsibilities, bending and sometimes circumventing our own laws.

I am very wary of Klaus Schwab's (and other people) comment " for the greater good." That can be applied many ways to many things. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/23/2023 at 1:12 PM, auburnseeker said:

Which is what I said from day one,  but am silenced whenever I point out the practicality of things I see proposed.  I wish someone with a 1/4 brain was in charge of all this stuff,  that understood whole package and dynamics and would be forthright from the beginning.  Before they even suggest stuff,  someone should roughly run the numbers and see what is and isn't practical.  

Hey if we ban this,  is there enough of that to cover.  Look at gas stoves and appliances.  Is there enough grid capacity and energy production to even make this work?  What happens when the power goes out,  how many people will be effected during a blizzard.  Seems someone has a best interest in mind,  but I'm not really sure it's ours,  or even our children's. 

Yes I'm in NY by the way where they were talking about 2025 as no new gas hookups.  So this directly concerns me and is car related as many garages use gas for heat. 

Yes, you and I and many others have said that, however when one of the biggest pushers (perhaps the biggest) is saying it, admitting it, I think that is a big deal. So now all we need is an unbiased press to get the in-between the lines information out to the public and not next to the want ads. Schwab's owning up also reveals there is more than the environment that his group is after. It will be interesting to see how the loyal greens react when they realize they were manipulated and used to another end. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's important to stand up to ideas like this, which seem 'crazy' now, as in 5-10 years, it might not be so crazy.  This is the WEF saying this, not some hick yelling on his front porch. When world leaders say that car ownership should be abolished, we should fight back, not dismiss it.  Or we will loose it.  Freedoms that are not fought for will be taken away, as past and recent history proves.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 2/4/2023 at 3:59 PM, Cadillac Nut said:

It's important to stand up to ideas like this, which seem 'crazy' now, as in 5-10 years, it might not be so crazy.  This is the WEF saying this, not some hick yelling on his front porch. When world leaders say that car ownership should be abolished, we should fight back, not dismiss it.  Or we will loose it.  Freedoms that are not fought for will be taken away, as past and recent history proves.  

Yes! and I think it's important that clubs should take a position on the subject. Interesting that this post was moved from the general section to this "automotive legislation" section. This is inappropriate because no legislation has been written. It's all proposals from elite wealthy individuals that were not elected by any of the governed people of the world. I believe the topic was moved here to not stir things up in the General section and put here to have a quiet death.    

• Thanks 2