1964 Riviera Front brake adjusters

meputtin

Here's the diagram with i.d. numbers and part names for 1963-67 self-adjusting brakes.  I was missing some of those parts, bought a couple of assembled backing plates with shoes, etc., from CTC Auto Ranch.  They have lots of '63-'67 Rivieras being parted out.  Easy for them to pull an entire backing plate even if you don't need all the parts.  As in your car, some people just do away with the self-adjusters and do manual adjustments.

See http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Parts Cars/Buick/Riviera/Riviera Sub-Pages/Riviera.html

Here's an NOS Pivot, 5.103 group in the diagram

https://oldsobsolete.com/products-page/chevy-parts-for-sale/1963-chevrolet-parts-for-sale/1962-1972-general-motors-nos-left-hand-brake-shoe-adjust-actuator-pivot-gm-3856855/

Read the list of other GM cars that used this part, so maybe full-size Chevys and Corvettes of the period used the same parts.

1511473690_Buick1963-67selfadjustbrakeparts.png.2b1d7d95d0ff5407046659bcc289ae6b.png

6 hours ago, meputtin said:

Looking for 64 Riviera front brake auto adjusters. I bought a 64 ,and doing a brake job on it ,and the adjuster ,linkage and spring is missing. I'm looking for the complete assembly for both sides . Thanks

Look for new parts on www.RockAuto.com 

I have had good luck with these parts at my local auto parts store (O'Reilley) if you can find a person behind the counter that knows how to find things for cars that are not in their computer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

Look for new parts on www.RockAuto.com 

I have had good luck with these parts at my local auto parts store (O'Reilley) if you can find a person behind the counter that knows how to find things for cars that are not in their computer.

Jim is right about finding the right counter person. There’s one guy at a nearby O’Reilly’s that knows how to look through the vendor’s parts books. I’ll call before going over there to make sure he’s working that day.  He’s come through for me a number of times.

• Like 1

I had an interesting visit to my local NAPA last Saturday.  My '38 Century has new brakes and brake hardware installed by the previous owner.  After hearing a scraping noise from one wheel I discovered that one of the brake shoe hold-down pins on 3 of 4 wheels were 1/4" too long.  As a temporary fix, I shimmed under the head of the long pins using a 1/4" thick nut.  So, Saturday I brought one of the 'good' pins with me to NAPA to see whether the counter guy (Mike) would let me dig through his brake hardware stock to find a kit containing the correct-length pins.  I was prepared to buy the entire kit(s) and throw-away everything but the pins.

Instead, he took my pin and measured its length.  He then started tapping on his keyboard and a minute or so later said: "They have four of them [the pins] in Albany".  He went on to say that NAPA had recently (?) updated their software to provide the ability to search specific items by specifications.  He said he hadn't tried it until now, but it sure did work for me!  It turns out that the pin I need is used on several full-size 60's and 70's Buicks (among others).  I only need four pins, so I told him to go ahead and get the four shipped in from Albany.  In the end, I'll get the four pins alone for less than $5.  For once the technology helps!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What do you mean by " backward compatible" Ben???

Many years ago I put '63 Riv. bakes F&R including drums, shoes & ALL hardware including self adjusters on my '55 Special.

Went from 12x2 to 12x2 1/4 front. And 12x1 3/4 rear to 12x2 using original master & wheel cylinders.

Was a HUGE diff. in braking performance.

Tom T.