Air Conditioning for the 63 Riv

63 RIV MOE

Took me 5 seasons to get cold air in my 63. Tips- if you are mechanical the evaporator  under the dash is right hard to get in. Now for someone that is mechanical and flexible I suppose putting the evaporator  and connecting the AC HOSES (3) under the dash is routine. I would swap out the STV UNLESs it is working. No sense in rebuilding the STV is unreliable once it is fouled up. Use an STV up grade. I took off the AC muffler because oil was pooling up and stopping up the works. Stick with R12 if possible. R12 provides coldest air. Make sure vacuum actuators 3and 4 work. If not use a single dual

port work around. Put in new vacuum hoses that are color coded. Make the vacuum switches 1,2, and 3 work.

hope this helps

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

7 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Sounds like you have a non-factory air car, correct?

Don, you read very well. I made the wrong assumption. I thought the gent had an AC system that needed to be reinstalled. I would think putting in a new AC system daunting UNLESS, I had experience with automotive AC before hand.

I recommend using a Vintage Air conversion package for heat, A/c and defrost. In some ways having a non factory air car makes things easier in that you much less to remove with little effect on the underhood area. Negatives are different brackets needed for the compressor, having to add the dash vents which will not look as good, and not having the beefed up cooling system that A/C cars came with.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I recommend using a Vintage Air conversion package for heat, A/c and defrost. In some ways having a non factory air car makes things easier in that you much less to remove with little effect on the underhood area. Negatives are different brackets needed for the compressor, having to add the dash vents which will not look as good, and not having the beefed up cooling system that A/C cars came with.

At this point in the game, for most of us, is buy a car with a working AC. If the AC in the car is not working MAYBE it can be fixed. UNLESS you have mechanical experience and or HVAC knowledge a retrofit is not the best move…in my opinion. I’m happy to be wrong. I’ve got cold air. I have not heard from the majority on this forum

ask questions about AC and report a solution producing cold air. Must be something to it?

Turbinator