Any Saab Restorers Out There?

hursst

I bought a '97 Saab 900 recently, which will be 25 years old in a little over 2 weeks.  I plan to tour and show it in DPC.  Bought as a junker, found 130 problems with it, but they are almost all small or easily repairable/replaceable/maintenance problems.  Down to "only" 37 problems now.

Anyone out there restoring a Saab, any Saab, currently?  How about a Volvo?  Would like to see more posts about the Swedish cars. 

Skål!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Worked for SAAB CARS USA in sales and marketing from 1994-2003. Have a 2011 9-5 NG the last year for SAAB. What body style do you have? Most interest in the brand is in the Northeast of the US which accounted for 60% of the business for SAAB. Also have a 2005 Volvo XC70 wagon.

Wow, never thought I'd get a response, not many AACA Saab folks.  I have a 1997 900 SE 2.0 Turbo I bought as a junker for very cheap in 2021, as it had really good bones.  It was ready for the crusher.  I wanted something 25 years old that I could show and tour with the AACA for cheap, as I don't have a truck and trailer and it's difficult to get my better, older cars to shows and tours.

I got carried away with the Saab and didn't want to give up, so unfortunately, I put in a LOT of money trying to chase down all the things wrong with it that I couldn't fix myself, then a series of events beyond my control had me seizing the engine, so had to get a replacement engine in 2022.  I had 135 items on my "to fix" list at one point, now it's down to 15.  It's not a restoration, more a salvation.  It's coming along pretty well now; working on getting the heated seats working/repaired, which is another can of worms.  The goal is to have everything work on the car and have it presentable or better.

I love the 2011 9-5, thought it was an amazing design.  I was so disappointed when Saab went under, what a waste of a great car.  Read a lot of books on Saab recently, pretty neat story.  Seems Saabs are very popular in the northeast, like you said, but also Oregon and Washington.  You must have some great experiences working with Saab.  Do you go to the Saabs at Carlisle each year?  I went the last 3 years, they convinced me that buying a Saab would be fun.  Very fun, but expensive, in my case.

Love those Volvos, too, but feel bad for Saab, so I was compelled to buy it because it's weirder and an orphan, and the North American Saab Club was very convincing.  -Chris

I had a 1986 Saab 900, (my wife’s car) we bought it new when my wife was pregnant, she wanted it because of  Saab’s reputation for safety. It was a unique car with the ignition lock on the floor behind the shifter, and the inline engine mounted “backwards” , engine belt at the firewall and clutch at the other end easily accessible. In 1992 my wife rear ended someone and the accident totaled the car but she was unhurt. The truck she hit left the accident before the police arrived so she was not given a ticket.  

• Like 1

Glad your wife was safe, Saabs were very safe cars.