Steering coupler/rag joint replacement in a 64.

Nick57

If there are they are inside the column behind a plastic piece at the end of the column.  I looked at a picture of a 65 and mine looks different from the one in this topic.   Also I bought a coupler from Lares and it didn't have a ground wire on it anyone know who make one with the ground wire like the on in the pictures. 

Edited by Nick57 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Nick57 said:

If there are they are inside the column behind a plastic piece at the end of the column.  I looked at a picture of a 65 and mine looks different from the one in this topic.   Also I bought a coupler from Lares and it didn't have a ground wire on it anyone know who make one with the ground wire like the on in the pictures. 

Might be a good idea to post a pic of yours...is it an original or modified car??

Tom

Oooh...it`s a non tilt column. Dont work on these too often but I think the steering shaft side of the joint is an integral part of the shaft. I think your only option may be to remove the present fasteners and substitute nuts and bolts when reassembling. Might be a good time to consider upgrading to a tilt column?

Tom

True, that part is part of the steering shaft. 

Now would be a good time to upgrade your steering box for a more  modern faster ratio & bring your car into the 21st. century.

Using a tilt column brings other problems like signal & brake lights not working properly, non existent of signal light switches & broken, non  existent broken cables.

Not just a bolt-in swap.

Just my thoughts.

Tom T. 

Nick57---this is what i would  do buy a  can of brake clean, and fully clean all around  all sides,

turn your steering around untill all sides are thoroughly cl;ean---then check to see and make ure there is know 

play or wear there,---i think you will find it is still in  good --ok--condition--if so leave it--will only create more problems

repairing it.

Yesterday after looking at it closer I was thinking of doing just that.  Rubber looks to be in good condition with no cracks or obvious wear.  Clean up the splines the gear goes in and put it back together.  I had to replace the seals in my steering gear which is why I had it apart and was just considering changing it while in there.  If the gear wasn't leaking I would have never even thought about doing it.  

1 hour ago, Nick57 said:

Yesterday after looking at it closer I was thinking of doing just that.  Rubber looks to be in good condition with no cracks or obvious wear.  Clean up the splines the gear goes in and put it back together.  I had to replace the seals in my steering gear which is why I had it apart and was just considering changing it while in there.  If the gear wasn't leaking I would have never even thought about doing it.  

Good plan of action..."Dont fix it if it aint broke"

Tom