1971 Dodge Monaco station wagon 9 pass - $3,500. Seattle NOT MINE

Seller's listing comments:

"Not many of these left out of the 5,449 production. Very little rust being from the high desert in Oregon. I took pictures of the worst rust, underneath is clean. The interior needs work, car has a great color combination. I had it running and driving well with video a little over four years ago when purchased, currently not running. Unable to open drivers side rear door and tailgate although haven't tried too hard car is pretty much how I bought it. The body is really straight, installed NOS tail light lenses. Additional pictures upon request. I also can help assist with transport. Thanks for looking."

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/d/auburn-1971-dodge-monaco-station-wagon/7418599858.html

00l0l_2Uvk1goFlV4z_0Cz0t2_600x450.jpg

01515_1NP6JuPK8SCz_0Cz0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The humidity in Seattle is not what it's reputation would lead you to think. Its not like Ohio or <gasp> Florida. Check a weather report now and then if you don't believe me. It does rain quite a bit, and if a car leaks the interior can get really bad in a hurry if the owner does not either drive it regularly or crack a window here and there so it can ventilate.

Salt and other corrosive substances were not used out in this part of the country for most of this car's life. Seattle cars, as well as dry Eastern Washington cars, and Oregon desert cars (as this one claims to be) rust out where dirt can collect and stay wet. You generally wont see any structural rust unless the car has been buried under blackberries or something else that kept the whole car permanently wet. This one has some typical rust where the dirt collected in the fenders. The rear quarter panels are not showing rust, almost unheard of in a Mopar of this era because dirt collects there, and most owners don't know they can clean it out or that they should. This car may turn out to have less than the expected amount of rust.

I don't know anything about flood cars. That is not a typical thing to run into out here. There has been severe flooding in Western Washington recently, so you would definitely need to consider the possibility.

What bothers me most is the the entire engine compartment and interior looks like it is dripping wet with Armor All. What's up with that?

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

The humidity in Seattle is not what it's reputation would lead you to think. Its not like Ohio or <gasp> Florida. Check a weather report now and then if you don't believe me. It does rain quite a bit, and if a car leaks the interior can get really bad in a hurry if the owner does not either drive it regularly or crack a window here and there so it can ventilate.

Salt and other corrosive substances were not used out in this part of the country for most of this car's life. Seattle cars, as well as dry Eastern Washington cars, and Oregon desert cars (as this one claims to be) rust out where dirt can collect and stay wet. You generally wont see any structural rust unless the car has been buried under blackberries or something else that kept the whole car permanently wet. This one has some typical rust where the dirt collected in the fenders. The rear quarter panels are not showing rust, almost unheard of in a Mopar of this era because dirt collects there, and most owners don't know they can clean it out or that they should. This car may turn out to have less than the expected amount of rust.

I don't know anything about flood cars. That is not a typical thing to run into out here. There has been severe flooding in Western Washington recently, so you would definitely need to consider the possibility.

What bothers me most is the the entire engine compartment and interior looks like it is dripping wet with Armor All. What's up with that?

Aren't Seattle cars subject to rust from salt water vapor exposure?

With all of the major floods in many areas the last few years mass quantities of flood cars are now all over. Flooded, totaled by insurance, sold at auction, illegally retitled, and resold to many unsuspecting people.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Aren't Seattle cars subject to rust from salt water vapor exposure?

Maybe? Puget Sound is salt water. Historically they haven't been particularly rusty. A little worse than Eastern Washington (desert) cars, but not much. That is unless they were buried under vegetation, then they are a total loss.

• Like 1