1926 Buick Standard 20

Rich White

Hello,

I am new to this site and purchased a 1926 Buick Standard 20 from a gentleman who purchased it from the man who stored it in a barn for 63 years. It has no rust, no mice or rat damage.

Glass is perfect with inspection tag on windshield from 1942. No dents, paint good but not perfect. It has bucket seats in need of repair but the headliner and back seat are very nice with only one small hole in the back seat. I discovered the top leaks so have it stored in my garage.

I fiddled around and got it running & drove it most of one day.  It had several issues, brakes, clutch, gas tank leak, carb leakes, fan belt broke, heat riser frozen, vacuum advance line broken, multiple oil leaks but you'd leak to after sitting 63 years don't you think? I've relined the brakes, sewed up fan belt, soldered gas tank, freed up heat riser, repaired vacuum advance, new gaskets to stop oil leaks and other tinkering. I sent the carb to a guy for rebuild and he kept it for a year. When I was finally able to corner him he gave it to me in a box but kept my money.  I put it back together but it needs a rebuild or replacement. Can anyone help with that? I have spare transmission, generator and other parts to share. Also a motor with a hole in the block from a fork lift no distributor or carb.

I repaired the driver side window crank and internal parts. The floorboards look like new and under the back seat was original jack, tire irons and lung nut sockets. The spare tire on the back still has the nubbies on it and other tires are 50% or better.

I'm not certain what to do with this car as I no longer have room to work on it moving recently to smaller abode. If anyone would like photos let me know and I will upload.

I live in Lake Stevens, WA. 

Rich

I will download photos right after Christmas.

Edited by Rich White
Update (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich White said:

Hello,

I am new to this site and purchased a 1926 Buick Standard 20 from a gentleman who purchased it from the man who stored it in a barn for 63 years. It has no rust, no mice or rat damage.

Glass is perfect with inspection tag on windshield from 1942. No dents, paint good but not perfect. It has bucket seats in need of repair but the headliner and back seat are very nice with only one small hole in the back seat. I discovered the top leaks so have it stored in my garage.

I fiddled around and got it running & drove it most of one day.  It had several issues, brakes, clutch, gas tank leak, carb leakes, fan belt broke, heat riser frozen, vacuum advance line broken, multiple oil leaks but you'd leak to after sitting 63 years don't you think? I've relined the brakes, sewed up fan belt, soldered gas tank, freed up heat riser, repaired vacuum advance, new gaskets to stop oil leaks and other tinkering. I sent the carb to a guy for rebuild and he kept it for a year. When I was finally able to corner him he gave it to me in a box but kept my money.  I put it back together but it needs a rebuild or replacement. Can anyone help with that? I have spare transmission, generator and other parts to share. Also a motor with a hole in the block from a fork lift no distributor or carb.

I repaired the driver side window crank and internal parts. The floorboards look like new and under the back seat was original jack, tire irons and lung nut sockets. The spare tire on the back still has the nubbies on it and other tires are 50% or better.

I'm not certain what to do with this car as I no longer have room to work on it moving recently to smaller abode. If anyone would like photos let me know and I will upload.

I live in Lake Stevens, WA. 

Rich

Sounds very decent! We need to see some good photos so we can drool a bit.

• Like 1

Rich

Hugh and others should be along shortly to tell you everything you need to know in great detail! Hugh has spent an incredible amount of time producing detailed drawings and commentary on many aspects of mid Twenties Buicks. He is currently in the middle of a  carb air valve spring analysis for your car!

Yes the carb is simple but it can be finicky to set up and some very experienced carb rebuilders have a low opinion of their utility.

If you want to catch his attention sooner, maybe post this over on Pre-war Buick to get his attention.

BTW, if stock, there is no vacuum advance but there is a mechanical spark advance . This usually breaks at the steering column gears or distributor because the distributor was made of pot metal floor sweepings and swells in the starter housing bore after 95 years. Once stuck is immovable so something has to give when brute force is applied. If you are really unlucky, the steering column spark lever will be broken too. Not sure how you fixed it but if you freed the distributor consider it a small miracle!

Photos please!

Brad

• Like 1

Rich, 

Welcome, and yes, we all want to see pictures of your Buick.  

These notes will get you started to think about some of the areas that need to be addressed.  

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/330050-1924-buick-master-6-open-car-new-project-new-guy-here/?tab=comments#comment-1906636

These notes will help explain some of the workings of the Marvel carburetor.  

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/322950-1927-buick-carb-removal/

I write these procedures because there is a lot of knowledge in this group and I try to capture some of this expertise and try to make it available in one document.  If you would prefer to have me go thru your carburetor, send me a personal message.  There are several items in the carburetor that need to be replaced to get them to run properly.  I am actually impressed with the Marvel carburetor on my 1925 Buick.  I have no complaints with it's operation.  Both the spark and the throttle levers need to function properly as well to make the driving experience a good one.      

I am doing testing on Marvel carburetor springs.  Not everyone is lucky to have good springs in their carburetor, and there is very little data available on knowing if a person has the correct spring and what a person should do for a replacement.  My carburetor has a 1 year only air valve spring that is lighter than the more common spring that Marvel uses.  I did a swap and I can tell you that the spring used needs to be the correct one.  I also have neoprene needle and seat set up that I want to test run, but that means removing a good running carburetor to swap in the spare and I have not had the time to do that yet. 

Hugh             

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Rich,

I too live in Lake Stevens up off of 84th in Getchell. Would love to check your Buick out. I have a good friend here Wednesday and Thursday that is the Buick guru. His earliest is 1908 and newest is 1938 give or take a year.

If possible perhaps we could look at yours Thursday ?

Brasscarguy @ comcast.net. or 2ho6 919 1949.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...