1948 Chrysler preserved.

R Walling

The best thing is finding a well preserved old car. I think that I used to hear these things referred to in hot rod mags back in the Day, as an "Uncle Daniel." All this barn find stuff is nonsense! Sure, a barn find is better than a field car, but a preserved car is even better. A car like that doesn't need to be restored. I'm all for preserving what what you found, provided that it's in presentable condition, just doing a bit of needed repair or refurbishment. 

• Like 3

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am going to reinforce the upholstery where the mice have been looking out with a blue fabric in the inside.

This will hopefully hide the white spots and strengthen the fabric with out redoing the whole seat.

The headliner is a different story. There is one small seam opening, but it is badly discolored and stained.

I really don't want to replace it as it would take away the originality of the car. 

That would be the slippery slope, where do you stop?

Congratulations Roger, you have done a great job bringing this wonderful car back to life. I enjoyed our telephone visit a while back and was anxious to see your seats under those covers. Happy to see that they are really usable. As far as the headliner…..don’t look up!! You will enjoy the view out your windshield much more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

As far as the headliner…..don’t look up!!

I have to agree. Enjoy it for what it is.

It appears that June Bug still has the original in it and it's looking shabby but it's amazing how many comment that it looks original and still up there. A couple of holes and water stained but adding huge amounts of credibility to the car. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rivguy said:

The best thing is finding a well preserved old car. I think that I used to hear these things referred to in hot rod mags back in the Day, as an "Uncle Daniel." All this barn find stuff is nonsense! Sure, a barn find is better than a field car, but a preserved car is even better. A car like that doesn't need to be restored. I'm all for preserving what what you found, provided that it's in presentable condition, just doing a bit of needed repair or refurbishment. 

I fully agree with that statement from Rivguy.  The damage that mice can do is nothing short of awful, and in this case will require most, if not a complete reupholstering job.  I probably wouldn't want to sit in it until that happens and I know my wife wouldn't.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Wonderful preservation!  Your Chrysler is the perfect example of why restoration isn't always the best course of action.  It now has the appearance of how a late 1940's Chrysler might have been in the early 1950's, a window into decades ago.  Its unique among those Chryslers I've seen in that it appears to never have had bumper guards.

• Like 2

Back in high school I found a 48 Saratoga parked behind the Phillips 66 in my neighborhood. Knowing my parents were not going along with me buying a car yet, I told my friend. He bought it for $40 from the estate of the former owner. Great car! It was about 23 years old at the time. It replaced his 63 Dart. When he sold it several years later, with an ad in the "Trading Post", the buyer couldn't get there fast enough and no dickering. He got the idea he didn't price it high enough....😲