1952 Manta Ray

George Smolinski

Saw this on another site:

Through the overwhelming generosity of the Lacer Family of Junction City, Kansas, the Midwest Dream Car Collection is proud to display this ultra-rare 1952 Manta Ray concept car. Designed and built in California in the early 1950s by aircraft designers Glen Hire and Vernon Antoine, this one of one car captures the excitement of automotive design taking place following WWII. Featured in the July 1953 issue of Motor Trend magazine, as well as numerous other national publications at the time, this aircraft inspired design is constructed of fiberglass and is housed on a 1951 Studebaker Commander platform, powered by a Cadillac engine. Purchased by the Lacer family in 1959, the car went into hiding in a Junction City warehouse for nearly five decades until recently re-surfacing to the delight of automotive enthusiasts around the world. Bring your family and friends as you won’t want to miss the opportunity to see this amazing concept car in person!

May be an image of 1 person, car and outdoors

May be an image of car

No photo description available.

The car is interesting but one has to question the choice of backdrop mural featuring a creepy guy wearing nothing but a Speedo while standing in a junk pile.

It must be art nouveau because I don't understand it.

1 minute ago, GregLaR said:

The car is interesting but one has to question the choice of backdrop mural featuring a creepy guy wearing nothing but a Speedo while standing in a junk pile.

Sometimes it's best to avoid talking about the obvious.

19 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

If you look closely, I think it's a loincloth, not a speedo. Not that I was looking closely.