88 firewall relay questions/issues

ArcticWhite88

Deferring to the panel of Reatta experts here...I want to replace the 3 relays on the firewall.  Current relays are Bosch PN 25525638. I have the replacements (Omron/AC Delco PN 25553347). Before I do that, tell me what you see here. Should I be concerned?20211201_223025.jpg.05f8128569198f42ac206192cdf8776f.jpg

20211201_223112.jpg

20211201_223657.jpg

all 3 are the same part number.... looking at them from the front of the car the left one is for the fuel pump (only '88 and early '89 had that relay) the middle is for the ABS pump, the right one is for the ABS controller.    That is assuming someone has not moved them around. 

You do need to be careful and take one with you when you go to the autoparts store.   The often have relays that are listed as replacements but have different locking and as someone mentioned on another post,  some are not skirted, but will plug in and work.

Thank you Barney. I think I have all three relays that should work to replace the ones necessary.  

My concern is really the material at the base of the relays (please see picture above). Is this normal?  It seems like a tarry substance to me. Could it be caused by the heat from the exhaust beneath or is this a more involved issue? Car runs and drives fine, but I don't want any big surprises if I can avoid it. 

Has anyone seen this before?

If you mean the sort of dark accumulation on the wiring under the plugs, it is hard to say what that might be. I think it looks reasonably normal but what is inside where it plugs into the relay is more important. If there is similar drool inside the connection then it does beg the question where it came from. The wires themselves don't appear damaged or the insulation compromised. From the relays and metri-pac connectors I have dissected, I cannot think of anything inside that would melt and run. The crusty looking areas are sort of scattered about, no real pattern. Nice looking engine bay overall. 

Thank you 2seater. I was concerned they were melted from being super heated or shorted out. Again, everything works as intended on the car. I just don't want to end up with an undiagnosed fire hazard from wiring issues. The black material is sort of sticky...like a tarry substance. And thanks for the compliment on the engine bay.