1950 Buick straight 8 head removal.

Mr. Reed

What's so unusual about that?🙂

Kitchen table is handy for rebuilding carbs, cleaning and lubing tools, and plenty more old car things!

Back when I first started at the powerplant (and we could get away with such) the shift supervisor brought in a Jonsered chainsaw and we tore down the engine and rebuilt it on the control room kitchen table. 

5 hours ago, rocketraider said:

What's so unusual about that?🙂

Kitchen table is handy for rebuilding carbs, cleaning and lubing tools, and plenty more old car things!

Back when I first started at the powerplant (and we could get away with such) the shift supervisor brought in a Jonsered chainsaw and we tore down the engine and rebuilt it on the control room kitchen table. 

Haha. If I was married that probably would be frowned upon haha 😂 but not yet.

2 hours ago, Mr. Reed said:

Haha. If I was married that probably would be frowned upon haha 😂 but not yet.

You'll find your own table and space, as she will. But if she hammers you about using the kitchen table and then uses it for her own things...

Well- you'll just have to let her!

Hey, never said I didn't put down something to protect the table!

• Haha 1

Just got the head and rocker arms back from the machine shop. He said there was a bunch of black junk clogging the arm to a degree. It's all good and cleaned now. It looks pretty good. Didn't take a picture of the head because it was pretty heavy and cold in the garage. I will next week when it warms up slightly haha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so this coming weekend I'm removing the engine from the transmission and out of the car to have it painted and clean and paint the engine bay. Everything is removed from the engine except the mounts to the frame. I want to leave the torque converter in the transmission. Does the engine just unbolt from the transmission at this point? Thanks

Paint. I had a friend paint my parts. I'm so excited on how these turned out. The head, fuel pump, water pump, spark plug, valve and side cover and the intake manifold and water outlets and thermostat housing all in the correct color. All the gaskets are in the car in the packaging too. 

Ok so I've determined that to clean, paint and paint the engine compartment I'm going to remove the engine and transmission as a whole. I've got everything disconnected on the engine side. The bolts that hold the engine to the transmission case are at least for me almost impossible to access. I see them but can't get a wrench or socket on them. I know the engine has the two mounts on the side. I read in the manual that there's a brace with six bolts on each side where the thrust plate is located. Is that the rear transmission mount? I believe all that's left is to disconnect the under seat heater hose and unbolt the torque tube. I don't want to unhook the torque tube from the car and roll it out like I did for the seal replacement. Thanks Nick.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:27 PM, Mr. Reed said:

Ok so I've determined that to clean, paint and paint the engine compartment I'm going to remove the engine and transmission as a whole...

I have a 48 stright 8 and I detailed my engine compartment and frame without removing the engine.

There are a few places around the flywheel housing and top of the trans. where I missed but if I ever drive over someone, I will apologies to him for the dirty underside.

Seriously though, I pressure washed everything while it was up on jack stands and it came out real clean. I brushed everything carefully with POR 15 but it came out a little too shiny. So when it came time to do the under side of the fenders I used flat POR and it looked better. I think that a satin finish on the frame would look better.

The engine on the Chrysler is silver so I used a spray can of barbeque silver paint, using a small piece of cardboard an a masking shield.

I like the way it came out!

I must say at this point that I am a professional auto bodyman and painter and I have disassembled cars in order to paint them, but for all the effort that I put into them,

NO ONE! ever crawled under one of my cars in order to inspect the under side!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back then power steering meant 💪!

I expect that setup might take some effort to find.

If you have correct size tires, correctly inflated, and all steering components properly lubricated, I think your Super should be easy to steer until you get into tight quarters like parallel parking. That's when 💪comes in!

• Thanks 1