AMC Hornet - Never Mind

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

I remember when this was for sale 5 years ago.   I thought it was very very cool.

https://barnfinds.com/holy-grail-hornet-1971-amc-hornet-sc-360/

The trouble I've been having finding a Hornet is that so many of them that come up for sale seem to be SC-360s. Not only do they command higher prices when they come available, that's not the kind of car I want anyway. All I want is a plain old 6 cylinder base model. Sure, I'd take a V8 if one turned up but I'm not interested in any of the upscale or desirable models. I'm really into very simple cars. I owned a two-door 1970 Hornet back in the day. No P/S, no P/B, no A/C, three on the tree, and the rear windows didn't even roll down! At least it had an AM radio. I guess most similarly equipped Hornets were fleet vehicles or old man cars that got used up and scrapped.

• 2 weeks later...

Machine Gun, 

You are a man of my heart. I drove a 1970 AMC Hornet for 16 years. Two-door, 232-6 cylinder, three-on-the-tree. Converted to a floor shift and found a set of factory(!) headers for the car (supposedly manufactured by AMC when they were considering racing). 

Plain Jane but functional. 

Good luck in your search. Let us know when you find something. 

• Like 1

• Machine Gun changed the title to AMC Hornet - Never Mind
  • 4 weeks later...

Machine Gun,

I also drove a 1970 Hornet when I was about 18 - 19 years old.  (it was a step up from my '66 VW Type 3)

Mine was a base model mechanically - 232 6-cyl., 3-speed column shift, manual steering and brakes, AM radio and vacuum wipers!  In this regard, it was closer to my '38 Buick than to a modern car!!

Mine did have an appearance package - SST, I believe.  Added vinyl roof, some trim around the wheel wells, and full wheel covers.  Dark metallic green with a black roof.  By the time I had it (late 70's) it was a pretty well used up, high mileage car.  But, I wish I still had it!

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff:

The only options my car had were the 232 6-cylinder engine (at least I think that was an option...they may have had a smaller 6 as standard), radio, and electric wipers. My storage situation doesn't look like it's going to change so it's not likely I'll ever own another Hornet even if I could find one. I guess some things are best left to memory.