Common damn courtesy

I don't know who ditched the thread about the steakhouse owner in Montana who used stimulus to buy cars or why. I suspect it devolved after I last viewed it around noon EST.

I DO know that, as the poster who started it, I should have been given the common damn courtesy of being notified it was being axed and the reason why.

I happen to believe that an old car owner or purchaser should be an ambassador for the hobby and should have high personal standards, integrity and ethics in his/her old car dealings. Those who don't are a cancer on those of us who do. 

Looks like TTR, 30DodgePanel and I were the only ones who "got" the intention of the thread.

Who did it and why? Man up and tell me. Show me the posts that took it off the rails, because I get a message "you do not have permission to view this topic".

G

• 2 weeks later...

I removed it. It was out of control. See the link below.

I long ago stopped trying to surgically remove offensive posts from a topic just to keep it alive..  It's never enough, and not enough... all at the same time.

I also dont notify the original poster.  I simply dont want to get into a debate.

When a topic starts off good and goes downhill quickly I think it might be more effective to lock the topic versus hiding it, as long as the posts aren't offensive or vulgar. Locking a topic and posting a short explanation allows people to see what happens when a popular topic goes off the rails and they might learn from it and try to avoid doing the same thing in the future.

There are a handful of people on this forum who seem to take pride in disrupting good topics and don't care if the topics get hidden or not. They just move on to another topic and do the same thing again.  Hiding the repeat offenders for a few days (or weeks) will probably be more effective than continuously having to hide the popular topics they disrupt.

Ronnie,

I get your points.... but...

1:  If we have repeat offenders we should discuss them. Isolate them. Ban them.
2:  Locking topics that have gone off-kilter I disagree with. I dont want the general public to see it.

I fully admit my tolerance for anything that breaks the forum rules is basically zero anymore. Scorched earth moderating may seem an overkill and maybe it is. However, the 99.9% of the posts and users on this forum are using it as intended.  The .1% that spend their life here, who use I for their personal soap box, for those that are simply blowhards, I'm simply done being tolerant of them.  

Think of it another way.  May of the political conversations out there would NEVER be tolerated face-to-face.  If they attended a club meeting and spewed their believes like they do in the forum, they'd be banned from the meeting, and given enough offenses, banned from the club.  Why should the forum be any different?

25 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I fully admit my tolerance for anything that breaks the forum rules is basically zero anymore. Scorched earth moderating may seem an overkill and maybe it is. However, the 99.9% of the posts and users on this forum are using it as intended.  The .1% that spend their life here, who use I for their personal soap box, for those that are simply blowhards, I'm simply done being tolerant of them.

We are in agreement. I wasn't advocating being more lenient by locking topics but was thinking locking topics instead of hiding might send a warning that would remain for others to see. I'm for weeding out the people that consistently cause problems to begin with. I get tired of seeing a handful of people repeatedly pushing the limits of what they think they can get by with.

15 hours ago, Ronnie said:

We are in agreement. I wasn't advocating being more lenient by locking topics but was thinking locking topics instead of hiding might send a warning that would remain for others to see. I'm for weeding out the people that consistently cause problems to begin with. I get tired of seeing a handful of people repeatedly pushing the limits of what they think they can get by with.

I'll ponder this... "locking topics instead of hiding might send a warning"

I still can't view the thread. I AM interested in seeing whatever post(s) or people sabotaged what should have been a thread about personal ethics and old car owners/enthusiasts.

I'm an AACA life member. I've been on these Forums 20 years and served them as Oldsmobile section moderator, though it appears I no longer have any moderation abilities.

Far as I'm concerned this is over. It's not worth the aggravation of trying to find out who and what derailed a thread I started with good intentions.

On 12/11/2021 at 10:32 PM, rocketraider said:

I still can't view the thread. I AM interested in seeing whatever post(s) or people sabotaged what should have been a thread about personal ethics and old car owners/enthusiasts.

I'm an AACA life member. I've been on these Forums 20 years and served them as Oldsmobile section moderator, though it appears I no longer have any moderation abilities.

Far as I'm concerned this is over. It's not worth the aggravation of trying to find out who and what derailed a thread I started with good intentions.

Your moderator status has not changes. 

I know your credentials well, as you do mine.

I have no doubt your topic was started with good intentions. Its deletion was not a reflection of you but where it went off too.

The topic was not deleted, just hidden. Here is it:  

Peter, I just reviewed the thread again, it had long ago become a political discussion that went off track when they started picking on the big auction houses. The posters have no idea how they spent the money, The payroll for these houses have to be huge. Twelve months of payroll monies would be a big help to the business. Good job on hiding the thread. Karl