1939 46S Sport Coupe Rear Opera Seat Support Legs

Dan Buchacher

Hello - I have a newly aquired 1939 Buick Sport Coupe, Model 46-S, and am seeking a new or used part source for the hinged support legs that hold up the rear opera seats when folded down.  There may also be a socket fitting for the floor that receives the leg tip, that my car may be also misssing.  Any guidance in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!    

Thanks, Dan

6F48EE29-DEF5-4287-BDAE-66662634FCFB.jpeg

96C16046-0726-45B7-9B4D-8F9C1C80E1A7.jpeg

45AAB001-452E-4A38-A186-28994BE99F62.jpeg

• Like 3

Dan

Welcome to  the world of'39 Buick's and the forum

Spectacular looking car. I note it has the small wipers and fine grille so likely to have the short chassis (early production)

I assume the red in the other wanted add is not yours'.

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual for free. All of it section by section. Or click the pdf link to pay.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942

Some of the links are not working (software change)-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

Thank You MarkeWebb - for the valuable info and the EBay ad link, much appreciated, the support legs I am seeking are shown in the third photo in the ad - I will contact the seller and see if he will separate the jump seat parts for sale.

I did contact Dave, but he did not have the jump seat supports in his inventory

Thanks!  Dan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Here it is.. may have to roll back page #4 to the top.

Fortunately i was pretty specific about the materials used in that post! Though i dont know if the 1937 leg/ support is similar enough to the 1939 seats, but let me know if you have any questions @Dan Buchacher

@pont35cpe you were right the first time! the leg support was made for my 1937 Buick Century, the 1937 Plymouth was just in reference to another car i am working on.

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stooge said:

Fortunately i was pretty specific about the materials used in that post! Though i dont know if the 1937 leg/ support is similar enough to the 1939 seats, but let me know if you have any questions @Dan Buchacher

@pont35cpe you were right the first time! the leg support was made for my 1937 Buick Century, the 1937 Plymouth was just in reference to another car i am working on.

Thanks so much for sharing that Dan, that is outstanding fab work that you did.   I did not know that the supports had a ratchet feature until seeing your photos - appreciate the detail closeups of the parts!

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:44 AM, 1939_Buick said:

Dan

Welcome to  the world of'39 Buick's and the forum

Spectacular looking car. I note it has the small wipers and fine grille so likely to have the short chassis (early production)

I assume the red in the other wanted add is not yours'.

The best source of pre war Buick parts is Dave Tacheny in Champlin, MN. He specializes in 1936-1941 Buick parts. He is old school:- no email. The best way to contact him is to call him between 4 and 7 pm Central at 763-427 3460. You can also write him a letter. His address is 11949 Oregon Ave N., Champlin, MN 55316. 

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/206688-dave-tachney/

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual for free. All of it section by section. Or click the pdf link to pay.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942

Some of the links are not working (software change)-->https://forums.aaca.org/topic/207201-39-buick-team-membership/

Thanks so much for the information and links, really appreciate it!  Best Regards - Dan

6 hours ago, Dan Buchacher said:

Thanks so much for sharing that Dan, that is outstanding fab work that you did.   I did not know that the supports had a ratchet feature until seeing your photos - appreciate the detail closeups of the parts!

I dont know what your time frame is, but if the 1937 leg supports that i made are the same as the 1939 supports, i think i have enough material or close to it, to make another pair if need be and im pretty easily swayed to make stuff! It might be hard, where it appears the mechanism was upholstered over, but if the dimensions for the latching mechanism and threaded inserts for the brackets in your 1939,  are close enough to the 1937 seats, i could probably make you a set. I want to say center bolt to center bolt holding the bracket in place, was 1.75"  but i would have to verify this weekend.

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

Photo from my collection of '39 images (but no guarantee as to accuracy)

Expect seats are same for 46C & 46S

There are/were several people on the forum restoring 46C. [sadly BobH has passed away)

7072_3.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Stooge said:

I dont know what your time frame is, but if the 1937 leg supports that i made are the same as the 1939 supports, i think i have enough material or close to it, to make another pair if need be and im pretty easily swayed to make stuff! It might be hard, where it appears the mechanism was upholstered over, but if the dimensions for the latching mechanism and threaded inserts for the brackets in your 1939,  are close enough to the 1937 seats, i could probably make you a set. I want to say center bolt to center bolt holding the bracket in place, was 1.75"  but i would have to verify this weekend.

Wow Dan, Thanks, that is an amazing offer - Your skills and quality are really good and I would be definitely interested in that - Why don't you email me at celestialmaples@gmail.com at your convenience, no urgency, and we can work out a plan and appropriate compensation to you for the parts too.   Maybe you can become a source for these parts out there for other owners too!    Now we just have to figure out how to do the dimple piece for the floor!   Thanks again - Dan B

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, 1939_Buick said:

Upholstery does not like the genuine style

waldonscar013.JPG

waldonscar014.JPG

A followup question please for any 1939 Sport Coupe owners that have these opera seats and the peg leg supports - Not having been able to see and operate one of these in real life yet, Stooge (Dan Maas) and I are wondering if the bracket support assembly has any kind of ratchet mechanism in the bracketry to lock the peg into place either extended or folded up - or is it just a simple bracket and clevis and hinge pin - it is hard to tell from the photos.   The 38s that have the opera seats that fold up in into the back rest apparently do have a retention ratchet feature, hence the question on the 39s, and Dan is looking at making a set of 39 assemblies, also hence the question.  Thanks in advance!  Dan